Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-22-2010, 10:45 PM   #1 
CharlieT9

Talking Hey! New to bettas and just got my first! (pic)

So this is my first fish ever. I decided to get a betta, because I hear they are good for beginners and they are so beautiful. I have it in a cube-ish 1.5 gallon tank with a light and whisper filter. I have gravel on the bottom and 2 plastic plants. I bought pellet betta food.

I let the tank run for a day and treated it with water conditioner (I used tap water)before I put the fish in; I didn't want to wait any longer. I figured out that my tank would be much better for the fish than the little jar Petsmart had it in. After a few hours, even the fish's color brightened! I had no idea it was even that colorful when I bought it.

I'm really excited, but I want my fish to be really healthy and happy. I know I should get some more plants and a cave. I plan on getting a heater and some "treats" tomorrow back at Petsmart (any suggestions?). Is there anything else I should get?

Plus, I'd like a little advice on cycling the water and stuff. Could I get a bamboo plant to keep in there? Would that help? Also, what should I look for in getting a chemical tester thing?

Thanks to anyone who answers this! I'm so excited about getting a betta. Sorry I wrote so much!
CharlieT9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #2 
CharlieT9

Grrrr. The picture didn't work. I'll just put the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46333346@N05/4456308166/

Last edited by CharlieT9; 03-22-2010 at 10:48 PM. Reason: the picture didn't work
Old 03-22-2010, 10:52 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm not sure about cycling a 1.5 gallon tank. Someone else will have to advise you on that. If you don't cycle then a 1.5 needs to be cleaned 1-2 times a week. For treats you can feed him bloodworms, daphnia or brine shrimp, either freeze dried or frozen. Freeze dried needs to be rehydrated before feeding to avoid digestive problems. You will be so happy with your betta! They have awesome personalities. Can you post some pics of him? We love pics. lol

I see you already posted a pic. He's beautiful!!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #4 
SaylorKennedy

Welcome! You have a gorgeous boy there. Have a name yet?!
For plants, just make sure you get ones that won't damage his fins. You can double check the plants by running panty hose over them and if they don't snag, they're okay. Most of the time the plants are okay though. Silk plants are probably the best as bettas like to rest on them, but they're not necessary.
My betta loves freeze dried bloodworms as a weekly snack!
As far as cycling goes, a 1.5 gallon won't necessarily need to be cycled. You'd just have to do 100% changes twice a week at least and maybe a 50% in between. Tanks really are hard to cycle if it's under 5 gallons.
Bamboo can't be submerged otherwise the leaves will rot in the water. Bettas need a lid though, so having the bamboo sticking out would mean you would have to get rid of the lid. I'd say a no on that, unfortunately.
If you were to get a testing kit, the best one is definitely an API Master Kit. Although since your tank is small, it'd be best to just do 50/100% water changes that you could get away with no testing kit since you're probably not going to cycle it. If you got a bigger tank, it would be more useful.

I think I got everything. Anymore questions please ask. This is a wonderful website with plenty of information and lots of addicts who will answer any questions you have.
:)
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #5 
CharlieT9

Thank you for welcoming me. :) When you say clean, what do you mean? Just a gravel vacuum and scrape the sides? I feel like his tank is really sparse. Everything I read says that bettas like lots of plants. I'll try to get a picture of the whole tank with him in it. He blends in with the gravel a little bit and he's just a little guy (only about 1.25 inches or so), so he might not show up good haha.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #6 
CharlieT9

His name is Satoshi (Japanese for "quick witted").

Thanks for the advice SaylorKennedy. I'm so glad I found this website. How do I change the water? Just get a cup and scoop it out or what?

Here's his tank, btw. That's him in the bottom left. He's very small.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46333346@N05/4456364332/
Old 03-22-2010, 11:12 PM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

When you do a 100% twice a week, put Satoshi in a container of fresh treated water (I use the cup he came in) then unplug everything, take the tank to the sink/bath and dump out the water, put the filter aside, run water in the tank, scrub the walls and plants (be careful, the tank is acrylic so it will scratch easily), swish water in the gravel, empty out the water again then fill it up, treat the water and put everything back in. And since your betta will be in fresh water, you can just dump him and the water he's in back into the tank. P.S. Make sure it doesn't overflow. :P
It really doesn't take that long.
For 50%, just do a gravel vac and replace the water.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #8 
CharlieT9

Thank you! I guess I'll make Sundays and Wednesdays the cleaning days, since I filled the tank Sunday. Is that your red betta? It's incredible. I really like its deep scarlet color.

Thanks for all the advice you two. I hope to keep this Satoshi for a long time. The only thing I'm worried about is that I'm going abroad as a foreign exchange student in August for about a year. My mom says that she can keep him as a classroom pet (she teaches kindergarten) but I'm sure she's not gonna clean his tank frequently and such.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #9 
SaylorKennedy

Thanks. That was my first betta, Rowan who died about 2 weeks ago, unfortunately.

I'd maybe teach your mom how to do it and show her how easy it really is. That should help. If not you could call her every couple of days and bug her to clean the tank. :D
That's cool you're going to be a f.e.s.!! Where are you going?!?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Your tank is very nice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote