Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 11:52 AM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Smile Multiple questions ( bc ive been told/read contradicting answers)

First one: is the 1gal for every 1inch true or false? It can't be both.
Second: what is the ideal water temp?
Third: what is the smallest tank that you can house 3-4 females in?
Fourth: 1gal habit is plenty of room for ONE betta. True or false? Again, can't be both

Fifth: air filtration bad for bettas? True or false?
Sixth: what is actually the correct amount of food to feed a betta how many times aday? Bottle says one thing and ppl say different
Last: how many times a week does a 1gal habitat need water changed with a filtration system? This one i have heard/read sooooo many things I don't know what's true or false anymore as with all the questions
Thank you for the help.
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM   #2 
ThePearlFish

1.) that is an approximate universal rule, except, if you think about it a lot of schooling fishes that need to be with others, need a bit more space, but you may get a more accurate answer from others ;)

2.) ideal water temp: About 76- 82 degrees.

3.) 10 gallons for 3-4 females is the smallest reccomended.

4.) Not sure bout this one.

5.) I don't feed pellets so someone else should answer.

6.) someone else should answer since I have a big tank and not a 1g.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

1. Its partially true.. its a guideline to help new fish keepers.. there is actually a LOT more that goes into stocking.

2. Ideal for bettas is 76-82* with 80* being perfect IMO. Other fish have other needs.

3. Female bettas should only be kept in groups of 4 or more and you will need at least a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants and hiding spots.

4. 1 gallon is not enough room for a betta. The minimum should be 2-2.5 with 3 being ideal IMO. Bigger is better though.

5. There is nothing wrong with air filters. Some make bubbles which some bettas don't like but besides that they're fine.

6. That really depends on the size and age of your betta. In general 2 pellets twice a day is a good feeding schedule. Some people fast their fish but I don't. You also want to have a diet with several different foods.

7. Like I said.. a 1 gallon is not appropriate permanent housing for a betta. Its fine for short term though. A 1 gallon will need a water change every other day. If you have a small filter you MIGHT be able to do every three days but IMO there is no point in filtering a 1 gallon.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #4 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Question

Thankyou for all that info. However I have discovered another contradiction. If 1inch 1gal is true, than why is 1gal not big enough for 1 betta? Why even make 1gals. This really makes no sense. Before I upgraded to 1gal. My bettas that I had for over a yr lived in habitats smaller than that where healthy an happy as can be. The frequent water change makes no sense. Eveything other website says half not full. That's what I did for a long time and those bettas where fine. What was the point of getting a filtration system if I still am told to change the water every other day. This makes no sense and all those water changes really stresses the bettas. Someone please clarify all this for me. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
1. Its partially true.. its a guideline to help new fish keepers.. there is actually a LOT more that goes into stocking.

2. Ideal for bettas is 76-82* with 80* being perfect IMO. Other fish have other needs.

3. Female bettas should only be kept in groups of 4 or more and you will need at least a 10 gallon tank with lots of plants and hiding spots.

4. 1 gallon is not enough room for a betta. The minimum should be 2-2.5 with 3 being ideal IMO. Bigger is better though.

5. There is nothing wrong with air filters. Some make bubbles which some bettas don't like but besides that they're fine.

6. That really depends on the size and age of your betta. In general 2 pellets twice a day is a good feeding schedule. Some people fast their fish but I don't. You also want to have a diet with several different foods.

7. Like I said.. a 1 gallon is not appropriate permanent housing for a betta. Its fine for short term though. A 1 gallon will need a water change every other day. If you have a small filter you MIGHT be able to do every three days but IMO there is no point in filtering a 1 gallon.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:28 PM   #5 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Question

What is IMO?
Old 03-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #6 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
If 1inch 1gal is true, than why is 1gal not big enough for 1 betta?
Because with all the flowing finnage and whatnot, bettas (at least the males with the fancy fins) are not one inch long, they are longer than that ;)

Quote:
What is IMO?
IMO means In my opinion.

Quote:
My bettas that I had for over a yr lived in habitats smaller than that where healthy an happy as can be. The frequent water change makes no sense. Eveything other website says half not full. That's what I did for a long time and those bettas where fine. What was the point of getting a filtration system if I still am told to change the water every other day. This makes no sense and all those water changes really stresses the bettas. Someone please clarify all this for me. Thank you
In a tank THAT small especially, waste accumulate very fast. The water becomes noxious fast. Filters don't replace water changes. they just help introuduce healthy bacteria into the tank and help reduce the water changes by making the water clearer. Its been done, to keep a betta for a long lifespan in a tank that small, but it is the betta keeper's responsibilty to create a healthy clean environment for the betta to live in, that means keeping on top of cleanings.

~TPF

Last edited by ThePearlFish; 03-23-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #7 
reaperss06

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
Because with all the flowing finnage and whatnot, bettas (at least the males with the fancy fins) are not one inch long, they are longer than that ;)

IMO means In my opinion.

In a tank THAT small especially, waste accumulate very fast. The water becomes noxious fast. Filters don't replace water changes. they just help introuduce healthy bacteria into the tank and help reduce the water changes by making the water clearer. Its been done, to keep a betta for a long lifespan in a tank that small, but it is the betta keeper's responsibilty to create a healthy clean environment for the betta to live in, that means keeping on top of cleanings.

~TPF
This actually clarified a lot for me as well, lol. The one I had for about a year and a half lived in a .5 gallon tank and did fine. The thing that bothered me was he started having problems once I put him in the bigger tank.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:10 PM   #8 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperss06 View Post
This actually clarified a lot for me as well, lol. The one I had for about a year and a half lived in a .5 gallon tank and did fine. The thing that bothered me was he started having problems once I put him in the bigger tank.
So true! When I upgraded my habitats. 2 of the bettas stopped eating and one of em died :(
Old 03-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #9 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Question

well I had habitats smaller than that with no filter an only chnaged the water once a week and both lived a long and happy life. Also something STILL has not been answered. We can all agree water changes stress fish. Soooo wouldn't changing the water multiple times a week be really bad or my bettas? True or false? Btw, all info is much appreciated! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
Because with all the flowing finnage and

whatnot, bettas (at least the males with the fancy fins) are not one inch long, they are longer than that ;)

IMO means In my opinion.

~TPF
Old 03-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #10 
ThePearlFish

Quote:
Soooo wouldn't changing the water multiple times a week be really bad or my bettas?
False, bettas (and other fish) prefer really clean water. Its when they live in water that is not changed often enough they get infections, diseases or etc. Most of the time, you can do partial water changes if you have a big enough tank so you don't need to remove them, but 100% changes are necessary in most cases. wouldn't you want to live in a very clean environment as opposed to one not cleaned as often? :)

if betta fishes are kept well, they can live a good 3-5 or even 6 years in some cases.

~TPF