Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #11 
WuGolfer07
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePearlFish View Post
False, bettas (and other fish) prefer really clean water. Its when they live in water that is not changed often enough they get infections, diseases or etc. Most of the time, you can do partial water changes if you have a big enough tank so you don't need to remove them, but 100% changes are necessary in most cases. wouldn't you want to live in a very clean environment as opposed to one not cleaned as often? :)

if betta fishes are kept well, they can live a good 3-5 or even 6 years in some cases.

~TPF
Obviously I would prefer clean hahaBut I 100% disagree that multiple water changes in a week don't stress fish, bc it does. I'll just have to upgrade my habitats AGAIN. hopefully I won't have to continue upgrading haha it's getting expensive hah
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #12 
ThePearlFish
Member
 
ThePearlFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA
I never said it didn't stress them out at all. but overall that it is healthier for the fish to get frequent water changes based on how big their tank is.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #13 
xxabc
Member
 
xxabc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
I agree with about everything that's said here. And if water changes stresses your fish, you as the owner work out so the betta doesn't get stressed. What's so stressed about it? You could find out, since "changing water" has lots of little aspects. Is it taking out water? Is it pouring in water? Is it the gravel vac? Or is it the new water? Etc. But still, IMO, dirty water is even more stressful anyway. (Diseases). But sometimes people have to deal with bettas that are stressul about anything, and those are the tough kids ~
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #14 
vaygirl
Member
 
vaygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middlesex County, NJ
I can only go by experience. My betta who lives in a 16 gallon is the healthiest most well adjusted fish I have. His fins are longer then his body and his color is spectacular (see my avatar). The fish I have in a 5 gallon and 6 gallon have had ich and some non-specific bacteria problem. They 'pace' a lot more then my Tango.

Living in their own waste every day all day will stress their systems way more then the every other day stay in a cup for water changing and if you're smart about it, you can train them to go into the cup. Mine will go into any container willingly if led by food. Nothing I do in their tank stresses them. They're used to my hands all up in there and they associate it with food so they're actually happy to see my hand. If they're used to you and you interact with them enough they're more then willing to do what you want. They're very smart fish.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #15 
WuGolfer07
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Question

Seeee this is where I am getting lost. Being told that a 10gal is good for 4 females, while you basically tell me I need a 16gal for ONE betta. Isn't that a little extreme for one betta lol see I can flip the coin and say that I had a betta in a .5 gal for nearly 2 yrs and he was one happy dude :) but thank you for the help



Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
I can only go by experience. My betta who lives in a 16 gallon is the healthiest most well adjusted fish I have. His fins are longer then his body and his color is spectacular (see my avatar). The fish I have in a 5 gallon and 6 gallon have had ich and some non-specific bacteria problem. They 'pace' a lot more then my Tango.

Living in their own waste every day all day will stress their systems way more then the every other day stay in a cup for water changing and if you're smart about it, you can train them to go into the cup. Mine will go into any container willingly if led by food. Nothing I do in their tank stresses them. They're used to my hands all up in there and they associate it with food so they're actually happy to see my hand. If they're used to you and you interact with them enough they're more then willing to do what you want. They're very smart fish.
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #16 
WuGolfer07
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Question

Doesn't stress multi ones in a week stresses fish, that's not my opinion, that's FACT. just saying :)


Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I agree with about everything that's said here. And if water changes stresses your fish, you as the owner work out so the betta doesn't get stressed. What's so stressed about it? You could find out, since "changing water" has lots of little aspects. Is it taking out water? Is it pouring in water? Is it the gravel vac? Or is it the new water? Etc. But still, IMO, dirty water is even more stressful anyway. (Diseases). But sometimes people have to deal with bettas that are stressul about anything, and those are the tough kids ~
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #17 
xxabc
Member
 
xxabc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Ah, I don't think she's saying 16 gallons = 1 betta. I think she's showing, through her experience (and in this case data) the bigger, the better. 16 gallons IS quite big for a betta, but as you see, Tango has grown (REALLY) beautiful long tails and great color. And I'm assuming he hasn't gotten sick too much, and her 5 gal/6gal has faced ick before.

I think you're facing sizing too literally. There is not a law that says 10 = 4 female bettas. 5 = 1 male betta. Honestly, you could (and should) fit more than 4 female bettas in a 10. It may be cramped, but there's another side: possible less fighting. The more females you have, the less fighting there should be (or something like that). So size does not rule all over anything. While a 1 gallon could house a betta, there's hardly any niiiiiiiice swimming space, ammonia can get out of wack, the temperature is harder to control... etc.

Hopefully this is helping you and not confusing you? :)?
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:43 PM   #18 
xxabc
Member
 
xxabc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Uhhh, I'm sorry that was confusing... are you saying the MULTI water changes a week will stress out bettas? I'm sorry, but I haaaaaaaave to completely disagree, and I'll tell you why :)

I have two bettas, and I do two water changes a week. Sometimes three. They're in my 5 gallon (I get so bored, I'll do more than one a week hahaha). I can just dump the gravel vac in there and stir it around, and they don't get stressed. At all. Not the littlest bit! How do I know? Their colors haven't been lost, they swim around, they follow the gravel vac with no flaring, they're so interested. They'r enot stressed at all. Plus I give them their treats, so they're like "Once it's over, treat time!"
However, there ARE bettas who wouldn't be able to stand multi water changes a week. But this being said, "multiple water changes a week stresses a fish" would not be fact, it would be opinion, or a situation.
:)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:50 PM   #19 
WuGolfer07
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
Talking

Thankyou everyone! Much appreciated :)
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:56 PM   #20 
WuGolfer07
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida
not going to debate. Water changes stress fish, it's a written FACT and not an opinion mine. But thank you for all your help :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Uhhh, I'm sorry that was confusing... are you saying the MULTI water changes a week will stress out bettas? I'm sorry, but I haaaaaaaave to completely disagree, and I'll tell you why :)

I have two bettas, and I do two water changes a week. Sometimes three. They're in my 5 gallon (I get so bored, I'll do more than one a week hahaha). I can just dump the gravel vac in there and stir it around, and they don't get stressed. At all. Not the littlest bit! How do I know? Their colors haven't been lost, they swim around, they follow the gravel vac with no flaring, they're so interested. They'r enot stressed at all. Plus I give them their treats, so they're like "Once it's over, treat time!"
However, there ARE bettas who wouldn't be able to stand multi water changes a week. But this being said, "multiple water changes a week stresses a fish" would not be fact, it would be opinion, or a situation.
:)
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions!!! need answers to them bettalover2033 Breeding Betta Fish 19 03-23-2010 01:51 PM
Questions!!! need answers to them bettalover2033 Breeding Betta Fish 3 03-21-2010 08:35 PM
Aquarium Salt questions, need answers asap! AngelicScars Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 2 07-26-2009 12:25 PM
Confusion on good betta tank mate! Contradicting answers Purple7 Betta Fish Compatibility 5 06-25-2008 06:38 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.