Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 07:57 PM   #1 
Gravemind123

Red stripes and a hole in his fin.

Information: 5 gallon uncycled tank which has been running for 2 weeks now, 20% changes 2-3 times weekly(2-3 gallons changed per week), no other fish, 80 degrees F all day and night, no live plants, Aquatech power filter modified to have lower flow, minor sunlight during the evening, he wakes up with the sunlight and I turn all light off later in the evening(10pm-ish), my last water change was Sunday, my food is Hikari Betta Biogold and I feed him 2-3 pellets twice daily.

Symptoms: he has a red stripe, blood colored on the top of his anal fin and another small stripe that goes down the backend of his anal fin. This stripe appeared shortly after I moved him from his 1.5G tank into this 5G one and has not gone away. He also has a hole in one of his fins which I just found today.

Behavior: He has always exhibited somewhat hyperactive behavior, swimming vigorously around either tank and up and down near the walls of the tanks. This behavior has not changed although he doesn't flare as much anymore. He builds tiny bubblenests sometimes and has continued to do so in the new tank. Overall I don't see much of a behavior change from the tank switch.

I hope this is enough information, I don't have time to test all the parameters right now, but I can get back to you all with that data too, probably later tonight after I finish some work.
Gravemind123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like you are providing the perfect care for him, the only thing I can think of is that he is stressed from the new environment and maybe needs more time to adjust, but until them I would make some 50% water changes daily for 7-10 days then go to 50% water change twice weekly, if you have plastic plants you may want to remove them, you can do a snag test on them and other decoration in the tank by using pantyhose and if they snag the pantyhose they will snag the bettas delicate fins.......and need to be removed.....
Fresh clean water IMO/E is the best medication......and sometimes all that is needed......
I didn't see a water temp.....what is that?

Would love to see pics......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:17 PM   #3 
Gravemind123

Temperature is 80F, pretty much constant since I've had the tank. As far as parameters, the ammonia and the pH were both on the high end, with a pH of 7.6 and an ammonia level in the range of "Stress" on my test strips, the scale is ideal, safe, stress, harmful, danger. All of the other parameters like nitrate/nitrite were all 0 or ideal. I just did a 50% water change and will report back after testing the water again.

As far as pictures, I don't have any of him in the new tank yet, but I will get some and post them at some point!
Old 03-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Disregard those ranges....it give a false since of safety....

Ammonia and nitrite need to be 0ppm, once it hits 0.25ppm make 50% water changes for the sake of the fish...
Nitrate you want 5-10ppm...this lets you know conversion has happened, however, nitrate 30ppm and above can affect the fish immune response and it needs to be lowered and a sign of poor water change routine, poor gravel vacuuming, over feeding to name a few reason.......
Temp looks good.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 AM   #5 
Gravemind123

Alright, well after a water change the ammonia levels dropped and the nitrite is still there, although less than .5ppm, probably closer to 0 than to .5ppm. Ammonia is still between .25 and .5, although if I keep up 50% water changes every day for a few days that should hopefully go down. Nitrate is between 0 and 20ppm, closer to 0. I can't get more accurate as those are the color gradings on the charts with the test strips. The hardness is very soft, about 25ppm is this good or do a want some hardness, and if I do, how do I go about increasing hardness?
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 AM   #6 
reaperss06

what is gravel vacuuming do?? I have always seen it but from what I think it is is prolly different from what is actually true. I think it means you vacuum it up, then put new in, right??
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:34 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Gravel vaccuuming is sucking up all the debris and crud from the bottom of the tank. A gravel vac is like a syphon type thing that cleans the bottom of the tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote