Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Question water bubbles that make the surface rough bad for bettas?

I just moved my filter to the bottom to get the current to the bottom and out of the way, sense my little guy loves to be at the top more than the bottom. Well this filter is not to strong, but did have some current that pulled him slightly and also the food when i dropped it in. So i moved it to the bottom. But now the bubbles seem a little bigger and are making the top of the water kind of rough and shaky a little bit. Is this bad for my guy? Will that roughness stress him out?
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #2 
xxabc

That's an interesting filter, what type is it ? Llike the model/brand?

And no, I don't think so. Surface agitation can actually be good. The main issue is that the chances your betta making a bubble neset will decrease, so the water moves too much itwould get destroyed. But I have water agitation, yet he stil made it before. And film collects on too-still water if there really is no agitation. I believe this can block the O2 exchange at the water surface.

In terms of stress, I highly doubt it - However, if he is still getting pulled around, you might have to actually do something about the filter.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:01 PM   #3 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
That's an interesting filter, what type is it ? Llike the model/brand?

And no, I don't think so. Surface agitation can actually be good. The main issue is that the chances your betta making a bubble neset will decrease, so the water moves too much itwould get destroyed. But I have water agitation, yet he stil made it before. And film collects on too-still water if there really is no agitation. I believe this can block the O2 exchange at the water surface.

In terms of stress, I highly doubt it - However, if he is still getting pulled around, you might have to actually do something about the filter.

He is not getting pulled anymore now that he is at the bottom, was just not sure if this surface roughness was bad. It's a "Filt-a-Carb" carbon filter cartridge with holder by Penn-Plax
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #4 
xxabc

Then I don't see too many other problems. Should be good to go
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Then I don't see too many other problems. Should be good to go

thank you