Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 08:26 PM   #11 
WuGolfer07
Banned

their are no stripes... stripes can form that FAST? and not able to take pix at the moment, but my plants are not crowded haha i need to fix that

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Could I see a picture? By hiding places and plants, it's usually best to "crowd" them as well. Bettas like a lot of hiding places and such, so crowding plants is good as well. However, look for stress stripes - if they're visible (horizontal lines), then we'll know she's not simply chilling there, but rather hiding. But hopefully she really is just chilling there.

Hopefully someone else comes and helps, I have to go!
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #12 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Talking

all 3 are now swimming around and looking very happy =] i think the Hierarchy is being formed... that yes, i have READ about on this very forum when 3 females are put together.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #13 
xxabc

I don't keep females myself, so I'm not sure how "fast" they can occur, but I'm gonna GUESS fast? But it's only a guess. Usually more crowded also leads to more successful. I still honestly feel 3 is dangerous, but if it works out, good for you. I would still recommend more JUST to be on the safe side, since when tehre is more, less agression is pointed to each other. Good luck~
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #14 
WuGolfer07
Banned

2 of my girls ate, but the 3rd did not. How do i know if all three eat when i toss in the food? I do not want a build up on uneaten food at the bottom haha. Anything i can do to make sure all 3 girls eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
I don't keep females myself, so I'm not sure how "fast" they can occur, but I'm gonna GUESS fast? But it's only a guess. Usually more crowded also leads to more successful. I still honestly feel 3 is dangerous, but if it works out, good for you. I would still recommend more JUST to be on the safe side, since when tehre is more, less agression is pointed to each other. Good luck~
Old 03-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

The problem with just 3 females is that 2 can gang up on the third one and harrass her to death. Make sure that they have plenty of hiding places.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #16 
WuGolfer07
Banned

they do... the problem is not 2 vs 1... it is 1 vs 2 and the 2 are losing :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
The problem with just 3 females is that 2 can gang up on the third one and harrass her to death. Make sure that they have plenty of hiding places.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! Well, like you said, their hierarchy is probably being formed. Hopefully they'll settle down soon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #18 
WuGolfer07
Banned

i really hope so.. they losing 2 are hiding and breathing hard :( while the bully is swimming freely and happy looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
lol! Well, like you said, their hierarchy is probably being formed. Hopefully they'll settle down soon.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #19 
Jupiter

There is a sticky on sororities at the top of this forum that's very helpful. I'm just going to outline everything for you from my experience:

You need at least 10 gallons, which you seem ot have covered.

You need at least 4 females. I don't know who told you 3, but you can keep 4-6 females in a 10 gallon. I kept 7, but I do NOT recommend this as it overcrowds the tank.
The reason you need at least 4 is this: 2 females will just pick on each other endlessly. With 3 females, 2 will gang up against 1 usually. With 4 females, they tend to even out the aggression. I have heard that odd numbers are better, so try for 5 females if you can.

You need a lot of plants and hiding spaces! I'd say at least 1 plant per female, and a few hiding spaces. Big, leafy plants are better.

During the first few days, there will be a lot of chasing, fin nipping, and aggression as they set up their heirarchy. Your females will probably have stress stripes (black horizontal stripes along the body). They should settle down within a few days to a week. Some nipped fins are okay, but if you think the females look really injured or tattered, you should remove her.
If one of your bettas is really aggressive, you can give her a 'time out', lol. Get a breeding box and put the female in there for a day or two, and then re-release her.
Another trick when you're introducing new girls is to re-arrange their tank. They'll take time to re-establish their territories.

One thing that really helped me is aquarium salt! It's great to put a little in the tank to help the fish's immune systems, and it heals fins up nicely too!

Hope this helped. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #20 
truthequalslies

well if they need to be seperated it wont hurt to just float them in their cups till you get another one or two but only if its just for one day that way theyll be in their heated tank
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote