Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #1 
CDederick

Could you help me with my Betta

Hi, I hope you all don't mind yet another ich-related question, I know you get many of these, but I had some specific questions about my own Betta. I just discovered in the last hour that my beloved blue Betta which I've had a few months now has come down with ich, and I believe he must have gotten it, unfortunately, from the net which I used in my larger aquarium that had fish with a bad case of ich. I only just read that ich can be spread via fish nets, if only I'd known that sooner! Normally my Betta has been quite healthy, he eats plenty and vigorously, is very active and spends his spare time making bubble nests, and I change his water regularly and make sure the temperature is good. Even right now he's very active and still eating, but the tell-tale white spots are on his body, and seem to be in an early stage, but of course I don't want him to get any worse.
Right now I've transferred him to a small clean container with water from his original bowl (which is a 1 gallon bowl, by the way), so that I could do a water change and clean the gravel (normally I'd carefully do all that with him still in the bowl, but I figured maybe the extra stress wouldn't be good right now, plus I wouldn't be able to clean the gravel as thoroughly, so I scooped him up in a cup and transferred him). Since he's in a vulnerable state right now I of course don't want to put him in the bowl with the new water since it's not been cycled yet. I'm a little concerned about him maybe getting a bit cold for his condition while in the container since it's too small to put the heater in, obviously (I have one of those mini heaters which can't be adjusted). Tomorrow I'm going to get some aquarium salts and a water quality test kit at the pet store, meanwhile I was planning on having the ich treatment sit in the bowl, and when I put him back in he'll be in the water with the ich treatment, but I need to know when should I put my Betta back in? How long should a 1 gallon bowl take to cycle? Or should I keep him in the container for now and treat him in there? I'm hoping he'll be okay. I'm aware that a sick betta should have a good water temperature, lots of oxygen, ich treatment, and daily water changes, but I'm not exactly sure how to provide that considering the options I have (either a clean yet uncycled bowl or a small and non-heated container).
If you have any suggestions or friendly advice it'd be great.
Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by CDederick; 03-24-2010 at 04:14 AM.
CDederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:58 AM   #2 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Were you able to cycle the 1 gallon bowl that he usually lives in? I don't recall hearing that anyone has been able to do that.

If it were me, I'd do a complete clean of his bowl and gravel (no soap) and change 100% of the water. You can't raise the temp to get rid of the Ich so I'd use very small doses of Ich meds (whatever the bottle says) after changing at least 1/2 the water with each dose.

Good luck.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Without an oxygen source for the good bacteria you won't get a true cycle, I didn't see anything about a filter or airstone use.

IMO/E when a betta is kept in a one gallon container, there is no need to worry about the cycling due to the number of water changes that you need to do in the first place, you have a heater and that is great and all that is needed IMO in the 1gal.

For the ich, for mild cases I wouldn't even use medication, you have already started on the right track by putting him in a small container and giving his habitat a good clean,
I would do the two container method at this point as you are half way there right now, get another small container and every day move him to the new container with like temp fresh clean dechlorinated water and dump the old water and clean the container and each day move the fish to the clean fresh dechlorinated water, you will be making 100% water changes every day, using two containers make this easier, keep doing this for 3 days past the last day that you see any ich on the fish....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:00 PM   #4 
CDederick

Thanks so much - this morning he seems to be doing the same as usual, just a little confused as to why he has to be in the small container, ha ha.
So a 100% water change in a small container would be good, and the new water will be okay as long as it's de-chlorinated? Should I maybe put some salts in with him if that helps or would that be too much for the smaller amount of water he's in?

I don't use a filter for the bowl. I guess what I meant by 'cycle' is how to age the water appropriately, but I guess that's a different thing (sorry for the confusion).

I'll try the two container method for now and if there are any extra problems I'll mention them. Thank you very much. :)
Old 03-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

On the 100% water changes it is also important to make sure the water temp is pretty close too, as for the aquarium salt, in mild cases of ich I don't use it, but it will not hurt if you want to use that as well as the 100% daily water changes, what I would do is get a 1g jug and pre mix both the dechlorinator and salt 1tsp/gal and use that for the water changes so that you don't over do the salt, and the jug water temp should be the same as the containers if you keep them all in the same location, room temp is fine for short term treatments as long as the fish is in general good health and it sounds like your is....do watch the temps and don't them them change too much as this can be stressful.
I am sure you are doing this already...but just in case...make sure you have a tight lid on the small containers so he doesn't jump out....
Old 03-26-2010, 09:32 PM   #6 
CDederick

Okay, so I changed the technique of ich treatment as recommended by the guy who owns the pet store where I got him. I put him in a proper 15 gallon tank by himself, so he'd have more room, a filter, and consistent heating. Before I put him in, I did a 50% water change, thoroughly vacuumed the gravel, and added aquarium salt and Microbe-Lift Special Blend, to help cycle and boost the tank, plus de-chlorinator of course. I did a water test and all the nitrate/nitrite levels check out okay. Since yesterday I've added a tablet of CLOUT to help rid the ich, and today he definitely has less visible spots on his body. Plus I've been doing a 25% water change every day.
BUT. Now here's the thing. Even though the ich on his body has gone down (only about 8 or so spots around his head and back now), he's been much more lethargic today. This morning he was mostly sitting still up top and breathing normally (as well as eating normally), and right now he's hiding between a plant and the glass and his breathing seems a bit labored, I'm guessing because there's less oxygen on the bottom of the tank. Since the stuff in ich treatment can deplete oxygen levels I've added some more aquarium salt and keeping the filter at a good pace, but I'm worried that he's so lethargic and is just sitting on the bottom. :(
If anyone has any ideas or tips that would be great. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like he is over dosing.........
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #8 
CDederick

On the CLOUT, you mean? I was worried about that too, but I didn't know what would be worse, him having ich or a little less oxygen. Maybe I should just discontinue the ich treatment, and hope the aquarium salts will be enough to help him get rid of the rest of his ich, since it seems to be going away anyway? As of right now he's actually swimming around again, so maybe I'll just concentrate on proper water conditions.