Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #1 
Chicklet

Using placemats as dividers and backgrounds.

Simple money saving solutions I use.

I buy these types of place mats at the dollar store (Many different designs)

Use them as Backgrounds on my 5 - 10 - 15 - 20 gallon tanks, (you may need to trim or use two depending on the tank size)

Or use them as tank dividers, (1 place mat trimmed in two pieces for more sturdiness works best)

I like this type of divider far better, The males CAN'T see each other, thus far less likely to find away in with each other, like jumping! Pushing at the divider, etc (BIG problem when they can see each other and no top)
It is also far more sturdy and less likely to give. I never liked the looks of the other dividers I have seen, for functionality I like something that looks good and also easy to work with too,

They each will of course need their own filters this way.

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-24-2010 at 11:09 AM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Wow, that's a great idea!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Really cute. I would like that if it weren't for the fact each needs its own filter... you don't find that the foam starts to mold or break down?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:13 PM   #4 
Chicklet

Quote:
you don't find that the foam starts to mold or break down?
The foam inside the filters I cut in two pieces, each month I remove one section and clean it, then return it back to the filter, (rotate the pieces each month) They last forever doing it this way, all it takes is one piece to hold the cycle,

Quote:
I would like that if it weren't for the fact each needs its own filter
Actually I've yet to run into any problems cycle wise on either side using just one sponge filter as shown in the images,. No matter how snug it fits there is still going to be water exchange between both sides and be sure to maintain a good water change routine. I know alot of newbies fret over their betta's so I suggest they use a filter in each side for piece of mind,
Old 03-26-2010, 03:22 PM   #5 
Chicklet

To answer some private messages I have been getting,
going to Post it here so everyone can see and save me from having to send it over and over :)

The place mats I use are a firm rigidity plastic, 3D effect.
Sticker on the back says "Lenticular Placemat" 17"x11" 1/2 or 43x29cm

The blue sticks shown on the sides of the placemats, I buy at my local "Staples store" only place I can find them around here.
The pkg says "Slide grip report covers".

The first thing I do is trim these blue slide grips so they fit firmly under the inside lip of the fish tank.

Next I put the placemat up next to the tanks side and mark it for cutting, ( I bent the placemat a tad so you could see the mark)

Then I take it to my work table and trim it off along the line, then using the height of the sliders I trim of the top. So you end up with this.

Once you've done that I cut out the remaining section of the placemat to make another section.
this is what you should have now.

Next place the two cut out pieces of the placemat overtop of each other and slip on the sliders. So you have the same as the picture shows.

Next place it in the tank and see how it fits, This is the part where measuring doesn't always work out so well for me, So I trim of just a tad and keep trying until it fits snugly, and the blue sides snaps under the lip of the tank.

I have found that each tank can differ ever so slightly, So I do it this way for every tank I do.
I find it works better, tighter fit,...

I'm not very good at describing things, So I hope this helps somewhat..

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-26-2010 at 03:31 PM.