Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 PM   #81 
smallvle

hey, what about (slowly) adding some aquarium salt to his water? my guy, seuss had a bad case of fin rot a while back, and i gave him salt baths, and now diligently add aquarium salt to his water every water change, (though i'm still in the process of figuring out how much is the right amount.) alot of people on here swear by it for healing and preventing loads of diseases, and seuss seems much better because of it. maybe it'd help out his poo-fin and a big container of it is only a couple of bucks at petsmart. it will say on the container too how much you "should" use, but i've been adding a little less and just monitiring how he does. : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #82 
Sella

I love reading this thread, It makes me smile and feel all warm and gushy inside.
I also rather like Smallvles last comment on the horse, it cracks me up and makes me think dirty things. *cough* but not about horses. shh..nevermind
Sella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #83 
Mith

I don't know about betas.....and I don't know if having a cycled tank is important for them (it should be)....but since they have no filter to hold "good bacteria", what ever bacteria is there is probably in the substrate! Rincing it (the substrate) in tap water is a bad idea.....I always rince MY filters in tank water.

Just food for thought....
Mith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 AM   #84 
xxabc

IMO Cycled tanks are important for all fish existent. And I think Siler's tank does have a filter, unless you're referring to something else? But I agree, I would never wash out gravel in tap water. In fact, I would leave it as alone as possible, with minimal disturbance of the entire gravel bed during water changes (of course, except for those spots victim to the gravel cleaner).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:23 AM   #85 
dramaqueen
Banned

If you are cycling a tank then you shouldn't rinse the gravel. You would gravel vac it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #86 
BerkB33

I've gotta guess as to what the "brownish" coloring on Poofish could be. Had tanks when I was a young man...was very anal...too anal in those days. So being the "careful" individual I was...I treated my tank with everything from algagone to ridich...the result was chemically burned fish!! My thought is that it could be ammonia burns. Just a stab!
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #87 
smallvle

just had to say, sella, you crack me up! lol : )
smallvle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #88 
vaygirl

It looks like it's the same color throughout his face (the burgandy and the brown that is) and on his pectoral fins and his anal fins. It really looks like coloring to me, since his scales and all look really nice on his back end. That's my opinion anyway.

Tango's fins curl. One of his anal fins is actually growing into itself in a c shape. It doesn't seem to bother him at all. You can see the curling in my avatar pic.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #89 
BerkB33

You may be right Vaygirl...I'd be interested in finding out if those "patches" heal and go back to original color...that "brownish" hue still looks like a chemical burn to me...I had angels and barbs back in the day and their "skin" looked exactly like Poofish does now! Time will tell . Hey should we start a pool...bet on what it is...and make the original owner make a contribution to bettafish.com?
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:52 PM   #90 
vaygirl

Well, I hope for Poofish's sake it is coloring but I've never actually seen chemical burns so I have no idea what they look like. Sooooooo, no bet for me. :P

I'm probably wrong! But gosh I hope not. If that's burns, POOR Poofish!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
poor fishy