Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #1 
SweetnSpicy

Lost my whole Sorority tank D;

yeah, I lost all of them... I had 7 girls, and 2 corys...

So, I wanna fill y'all in first. I woke up like any normal day, fed the gecko, fed the fish, and on my way out to feed the horses, I fed the sorority. All was fine, they all came up greedily to eat like normal, Fish, of course, leading the way haha. It was a little dirty before I left, but normally I do w/c's Monday and Thursdays, I stagger it a bit to make our well happier. (I use water conditioner, and our well water is crystal clear, and is pretty well along the lines of water tests) So, when I got home, I went to check out my fish, and they were all dead on the bottom, except Fish, Blueberry, and Sally, who was half dead ):

I quickly made clean water, and scooped out the last 3 girls, but filled Sally's jar only a few inches, as she was having trouble swimming. I called my dad really upset, and he said he will be home later than normal, after my LPS closes, so I called my mom, and she said she would take me after work. I took a water sample, and then took out my girls, and the 2 cories, and put them in a small bucket of water, for Jimmy, my erm, uncle? to look at later, because he had a thriving 120gal Cichlid tank for over 5 years, and he said he had no clue, because besides a little algae, my tank was A-Okay.

I did a water test, and nothing was wrong, but I don't have the best water test, so I asked to go to my LPS to see if they would test my water. When we got there, and they tested the water, nothing was wrong, except my pH was a little high, about 7.3, but I don't think it would have killed them, and neither did the LPS. So, we exchanged a few questions, and both them and me were left confused. My mom said it probably was bacteria on a food pellet, but I had them since our first betta, WAYY before i joined the forum, and nothing happened to any of my other fish. So, she bought me Algaefix, and Betta bites xD

Well, I have some pictures, but my laptop won't upload them, and they are pretty sad D;

I was wondering if anyone else has went through something like this? I will write down the symptoms below...

-Cloudy eyes
-hard time swimming
-Patches of "colorless" scales
-being inactive -after- the "plague"
-It looked like they had fuzzy patches on their mouths, and other parts, but it was hard to tell
-Their fins looked like they were rotting off, even though they were fine 9 hours earlier
-One of my cories was ripped to shreds, he had no tail, no belly, no dorsal fin, his mouth and eyes were ripped out/off, and he looked like he went to hell and back.

They were in a..

-25 gal
-Cycled
-Cycled filter
-Heater, kept at 78-80 f
-Light on about 14 hours a day at most
-Fed generic betta food 2 times a day
-plenty of hides
-live plants

It was my dream tank, and now it is gone D:

I can try to get pictures later, if y'all want, but, it makes me wanna cry when I see them )*:

Thanks for reading all of it, if you did.
-SnS
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:28 PM   #2 
bloo97

Sorry about your tank and fish. (((HUG)))
Pics may help though.
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

Aw. I'm sorry. I don't know much about all the other symptoms but the one cory that was ripped could have been because the other fish started eating him after he died, which could have spread it throughout the tank...
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:54 PM   #4 
vaygirl

I'm so sorry about your fish. :( It sounds kinda like columnaris? You can google it and see if it's similar. I've never had experience with it but I've read about it. Again, I'm so sorry.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #5 
Bettafish

Mines just a guess but im thinking what if they went for the food and for some reason they started a war?

It doesnt explane why they arent all torn and beat-up but thats all i could think off.
Bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

That's terrible!! I'm so sorry!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #7 
Mitsufishi

columnaris. My betta Earl got it and died within about 8 hours. His mouth looked a little white when I woke up then it started looking like fuzz. He could swim up to get air and slowly died
Mitsufishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM   #8 
doggyhog

Yep, sounds like Columnaris.

So sorry about your fish!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #9 
Neelie

jesus! 0_0; im really sorry to hear!!!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #10 
bloo97