Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 07:38 PM   #1 
minti13

Talking Filter and Heater??

I just got a new betta fish (MY FIRST EVER!!!!) from petsmart and he is in a 2.5 gallon tank. I have two plants, and momo(my fish lol) likes them alot. I was reading some posts and alot of them say i need a filter and a heater. What are some good brands of filters and heaters and should I get more decorations??
minti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:09 PM   #2 
xxabc

I'm terrible with brands, sorry, but I'm sure someone else will give you a nice list.
For the "decorations", get as many SILK/LIVE plants as possible~ plastic plants have a reputation of ripping fins. Bettas dislike open space, so it helps to crowd a bit, with plants.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #3 
minti13

Thank you. I will try to get more plants to fill his tank with :)
minti13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Not ALL plastic plants are bad. I use plastic plants a lot, I make sure they aren't to rough first though.

You should get a Tetra 2-15 heater. 12-14 bucks at walmart. You really don't need a filter, because you should be doing two 100% changes a week. So, you don't need a filter. :) Get a heater though!

Welcome to the forum!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:45 PM   #5 
doubleatheman

The walmart heater is good. I like it personally $13 bucks cant go wrong.

A good filter is the Tetra 3i, for small tanks up to 3 gallons.
http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/489/

Just because you will be doing water changes is not really a reason not to have a filter... IMO, filters help during that week of time in between.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:02 PM   #6 
xxabc

If you want to check if the plastic plants are good, run a pantyhose over them, and if it snags, don't even bother with it. Sorry to leave that out :)
'Dunno 'bout you, but I've had the worst luck with plastic, haha. I have the Walmart heater too, but honestly if I could upgrade, I would. But it does its job quite well, so no harm in getting it.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

Unless your going to cycle you really don't need a filter. After a few weeks the carbon is basically useless so unless you have the cycle bacteria in the filter it doesn't do much but aerate the water.

In a 2.5 I recommend either a 10 or 25 watt heater. I prefer TopFin heaters.. they're not too expensive and they are adjustable... which is good if you need to warm up or cool down the tank for some reason.

Silk plants are very good but plastic is fine as long as you make sure its not sharp... I would also add some sort of cave... some fish prefer the cave to the plants.

You sound like you are well on your way :) Welcome to the forum!
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #8 
cloudgodd

I would first move him/her to a 5 or 10 gallon but you dont have to

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Unless your going to cycle you really don't need a filter. After a few weeks the carbon is basically useless so unless you have the cycle bacteria in the filter it doesn't do much but aerate the water.
I Love Aqua Clear filters, and as long as you change the carbon once a month as you do the media there are no problems

Quote:
In a 2.5 I recommend either a 10 or 25 watt heater. I prefer TopFin heaters.. they're not too expensive and they are adjustable... which is good if you need to warm up or cool down the tank for some reason.
Quote:
I totally agree top fin are really good, and adjustable is the way to go...summer/winter/heat/air conditioning...all change you tanks temp

Silk plants are very good but plastic is fine as long as you make sure its not sharp... I would also add some sort of cave... some fish prefer the cave to the plants.
yep agree here to, but another reason to increase tank size...gives you more of a choice for deco!
cloudgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:17 PM   #9 
Chicklet

I use to buy ornaments from walmart and the LPS for my aquariums, But their rather expensive,

I only buy from the dollar store, Ornaments and fake plants, they save me lots of money and work great, never had a problem yet with anything,
Here's a few examples " All from my local Dollar store"
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

Fish don't have to be moved to a 5 or 10 gallon tank to be happy. I have a fish in a 2.5 and he is MUCH happier than he ever was in 5 gallons. A 2.5 is just fine.

Filters with carbon in them the carbon is basically useless after a week. Replacing them monthly is expensive and kills your cycle. I only change my filters once they start falling apart.

Like I said.. there's really not much point in filtering a tank that your not going to cycle.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote