Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 08:40 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Air pumps...

I got this air pump today...
http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/hael801airpu.html

but it seems really loud to me... does anyone have this pump? I've never had an air pump before so maybe they're all this loud?

If you have other suggestions that are around $10 I'd like to hear them. I was originally going to get this one... but the first one was cheaper. Is the tetra one quieter?

I'm going to set this one up tonight with just the air hose in the tank (no fish yet) to see if its too loud.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:46 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Don't have that pump, but I have two and they are both loud.

I'm totally used to it now though, now if my filters and pumps are off my room is creepy it's so quiet. LOL!

Last edited by doggyhog; 03-24-2010 at 09:04 PM.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:54 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Hmm.. I don't know if I can deal with that.. it all depends on if it annoys my roommates.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:40 PM   #4 
doubleatheman

I have the 801 air pump, its fairly loud compared to other same size pumps I have.

The elite 800 series by hagen is like more than 12 year old design now... Im sure modern airpump designs have gotten quieter/smarter over time. Like the tetra you show.

And I have gotten used to my 2 air pumps in my room, I cant sleep without them, It took me about 3 nights to get used to it. Now I don't really hear them. (2 petco single outlets, very quiet though)
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

The pump doesn't actually seem that loud now.. mostly the bubbles were loud but I just had a one hose running from the pump straight into the tank.. I still have to get the thing that adjusts the airflow. I did get a gang valve.. maybe thats all i need?

I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to see if they carry the SWF.. I know petsmart doesn't. If they don't I'm going to order two off of Amazon tomorrow.. should be here by next week. Tomorrow night I'm putting the fish in w/o air pump.. just the heater. I don't want them in the little tanks any longer (Phoebe is just in a small tupperware that I've been changing daily). So Jasper and Phoebe will get put in tomorrow and I'm waiting to make sure Chaos doesn't have fin rot before adding him.

I'll put up pics tomorrow.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #6 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
The pump doesn't actually seem that loud now.. mostly the bubbles were loud but I just had a one hose running from the pump straight into the tank.. I still have to get the thing that adjusts the airflow. I did get a gang valve.. maybe thats all i need?

I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to see if they carry the SWF.. I know petsmart doesn't. If they don't I'm going to order two off of Amazon tomorrow.. should be here by next week. Tomorrow night I'm putting the fish in w/o air pump.. just the heater. I don't want them in the little tanks any longer (Phoebe is just in a small tupperware that I've been changing daily). So Jasper and Phoebe will get put in tomorrow and I'm waiting to make sure Chaos doesn't have fin rot before adding him.

I'll put up pics tomorrow.
Petco carries the SMF, I also have seen it in a few other local stores. Yeah One of the main reason I adjust the flow of the air down lower is to reduce the sound of the bubbles.

Pics will be fun to see
Old 03-25-2010, 12:12 AM   #7 
1fish2fish

Yeah.. unfortunately the nearest petco to me is 40 miles away in South Carolina... the gas to go there would be more than the shipping for the filters off amazon.. so if my LFS doesn't have them I'll have to go with amazon.

Will the gang valve adjust the flow or do I need the other piece (can't remember the name right now)?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #8 
doggyhog

Get an Air stone. That will really make it much more quiet. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

How does that work? Do I need an airstone?

I'm going to be hooking it up to two penn plax small world filters
which I think will make it much quieter since the air will be divided between two filters. I also need to get that thingy that regulates the air flow.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #10 
doubleatheman

No you do not need an airstone, sadly the SMW has no room on the inside for an air stone :(

You need to go from one input (from the pump) of air to 3 controlled outlets. 2X SMW, 1X extra air bleed off, If the pump makes too much air.

I would get a 3 way gang valve or a "air control kit"

3 way gang valve: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752202

Air control kit: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752256

Personally I like the air control kit, gives you way more flexibility for the future& is easier to hide. If you add or remove stuff, change where and how it works.

Gang valves: Especially if you cant find room to hang a gang valve on the back of your eclipse you have to have it sitting on the table behind the tank & is kinda clunky. The air control kit allows you to have one line going into the tank and then splitting it from there.

Here is kind of an example of what I would do:

Last edited by doubleatheman; 03-25-2010 at 11:14 AM.