Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #1 
Brinni

Smile Hello from a newbie!

Hello forum! My name is Brittany, I recently brought home a crown tail betta after cycling a 10 gallon tank. His name is Haru, he has a creamish coloured body with bluish reddish purply fins lol really hard to explain. His tank has a heater, filter, gravel, sea shells, 6 plants and a "ruins" thing with arches that he can swim through. I brought him home from the pet store where he was kept in a tiny cup and as soon as I put him in his tank he was swimming around like crazy. So far he seems very happy but he keeps seeing his reflection in the glass of the tank and "pacing" back and forth while flaring. is this normal??
Me and Haru are getting to know eachother and hes starting to come up to my hands to take food recently, so cute! Were happy to have found a betta forum and hope to learn from all the experienced people here! ^_^ so nice to meet you!

ps. thats my dog fizzy in the picture...apparently not wanting a kiss! lol
Brinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:25 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

Welcome to the forum.. it sounds like your betta has a great home.

It is normal for bettas to flare at their reflections... he'll get used to it eventually. If it becomes a real problem you can always cover that spot up with a plant.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:29 PM   #3 
Brinni

Thank you, yeah he seems to be obsessed with this one part of the tank, once I get some more plants I might just cover it up for his peace of mind lol
Old 03-24-2010, 11:42 PM   #4 
xxabc

Do you have other fish? You seem pretty experienced with them. I know I would love some pictures :) and your dog is adorable as well. Bettas flaring for the first few days is normal, like 1f2f said. Just curious, are you going to add any tankmates with him?

And welcome to the forum!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #5 
Brinni

Thanks for the compliment! but no actually I am a complete newbie when it comes to fish. Haru is my first fish but I did a TON of research before I even got the tank and then a TON more after the tank and then more and more and im still learning! Right now hes flying solo in the 10gal but I was thinking of adding some friends, although he seems quite content. Any suggestions on tank mates?? Ill get some pics of him asap ^_^
Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

In a 10 gal I would add 3 corydoras catfish.. they're cute little guys. Another I like are ghost cats.. but you need 6 of them.

I prefer not to put other top dwelling fish with a betta.. but a few bottom dwellers such as catfish or snails or shrimp are good. You can also add a couple african dwarf frogs if you like
Old 03-24-2010, 11:55 PM   #7 
Brinni

ooooooo I like the idea of snails or frogs! Do bettas get lonely if theyre the only ones in the tank? So far he seems very happy to have the space but im always worried that hes feeling lonesome =p
Old 03-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #8 
xxabc

Ahaha, I'm happy at how much you researched then! :)

Personally, I'm in love with panda cories. Sweet little things. I can imagine you could also put these in there? I hadn't researched it though, so I may be wrong on that. Snails usually work out, but I've seen some bettas killing their snail partners. I'd love shrimp - so, so interesting ... but I keep thinking the betta will eat them, so I don't do that, sadly. Too paranoid!

Bettas getting lonely is something thats slightly debatable? I say - no, they do not get lonely. With enough human interaction, they'll be the happiest little critters on the earth. I do my homework by my bettas and have them follow my pencil sometimes. Funny thing is, i have to do it on the floor since they're not by my desk :)
And they're territorial fish, so they like their own land. This usually leads them into being solitary, haha.

Last edited by xxabc; 03-25-2010 at 12:04 AM.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #9 
doubleatheman

You've done your reading, your not a newbie lol :) Your Betta will be happy.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:10 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

IMO bettas do not get lonely.. I personally think a betta in a tank by himself is much happier than a betta in a tank with other animals. BUT they can and do tolerate SOME other fish (thats why I mention bottom dwellers). Frogs can work but I've heard of some fish biting the frogs so thats something to be cautious of.

IME the best tankmate for bettas are snails.. they can't hurt the betta and the betta can't hurt them. That being said, a mellow betta could be "happy' with any of the other tankmates I mentioned.