Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2010, 08:46 PM   #1 
shards

starting to breed

ok so i'm going to try and breed bettas. i've breed other fish but never bettas. i have a femaLE AND A MALE IM THINKING about breeding (sorry bout the caps i accidently hit the caps key). and i have a tank, heater, thermometer, hiding places, bbs (well the eggs), sponge filter, etc i was wondering if its a females first time breeding how many fish are born, and what percent will b males
shards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't hink there is any way to determine how many eggs you will have or how many will be males or females.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:09 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Yeah I agree with Drama.

There is no way to tell.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

i do know that there can be rarely over 500 babies but for beginners there will only be about the most Ive heard was 60 bettas but it can vary up to 100 or more if your lucky
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:27 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Do lots and lots of research, there is more to it than just putting two fish together, it is fun and I recommend that you spawn Betta splendens at least once......but be ready and don't expect to make any money.....lol.....
Most female can have up to 300+ eggs, but with the bad, weak, and unfertile eggs and some that the female eats during spawning....sometimes you can get a nest of 100-150 eggs and from that as long as the male is not an egg eater...you can expect maybe 60-100 to reach wiggler stage and then 10-60 free swimming stage and then the numbers will either stabilize..... but most first time hobbyist end up with a manageable number between 5-30+...which in my opinion is a easy number to work with to start until you get the hang of it and get all the stuff you need to house the males once they need separated and time to care for them...for best growth and development they need lots of live food and lots of water changes....or you end up with ratty, stunted looking bettas with shortened swim bladders....
But it is fun, the research is fun, lots of spawning methods to pick from too, its just finding which one works best for you and the breeders.

I like to have at least 3 live food cultures for the fry and at least 2 or more live foods for the breeder to condition them with before spawning ever takes place, if the breeders are not in tip top shape it can affect the quality of eggs and offspring IME

What spawning method are you going to try and besides the BBS what other food do you plan to feed?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #6 
shards

i have just the bbs, and im going to do the male in until they are free swimming
Old 03-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I start most of my spawns with about 200-300 but end up with about 20-50 or so (survival of the fittest).

Unlike OFL I use a powder food, BBS, and the naturally occuring food on live plants. But live is the best option.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:15 PM   #8 
shards

hey vamp do you breed
Old 03-26-2010, 09:54 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Yup :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote