Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #1 
Eep Crood

Meet Cassey the corn snake!

Week 1 day 1

This is Cassey. I got her at petco today She (I think she's a she, but I have not probed or popped her) is a albino corn snake

I will be journaling about her since this is my first time owning a corn snake., or any other snake. For weeks 1-2 I will journal every day, for weeks 3-4 I will be journaling every other day, weeks 5-6 twice a week, weeks 7-8 once a week. After that I will only post if I'm having a problem with her.
I m journaling for the following reasons:
- if I'm having feeding issues you can help
- you can help to tell if she is healthy or not
- if she's sick you can help me diagnose and treat her
- you can let me know if I'm doing anything incorrectly

Today she kinda has been wanting to hide in her cave a lot, is this normal for a snake that I just brought home?

Say hello to Cassey!
Attached Images

Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:26 PM   #2 
tromboneplaya

Yes, it's very normal that she will be hiding, particularly during the day. Corn snakes are crepuscular and will be most active during dawn and dusk. And it will take her some time to really get used to her surroundings and actually be out and about a lot. I think most places recommend not handling for at least a week because of this. The move to a new home is very stressful :)

She's very pretty, and I like the name! I can't wait to see/hear more :)
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #3 
Eep Crood

Thanks! She's an albino, I think albino animals are really cute: albino squirrels, goldfish, snakes, they are very pretty ;)
Old 05-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #4 
DianeA7X

beautiful. wish i could have a snake.
DianeA7X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:33 AM   #5 
Eep Crood

Week one day two

I took her out to play this morning. I let her slither around the floor for awhile, when I picked her up to put her back in her terrarium she bit me! It wasn't hard, it didn't really hurt though. She's becoming a feisty little girl. is it because I handled her during the first week, or that she didn't want to go back in her terrarium? The pet store people told me that when she sheds she will get kind of grumpy, do you think she's going to shed later?

Other than that, not much to report, other than she is still hiding under her plant and in her caves, will that change when she gets used to her terrarium (I'm hoping)? I don't want her to hide forever, I want a snake that slithers around where you can see her, not one that hides ALL THE TIME.

And a question: I have two lights a dark purple one for night and a regular one. I know at night I am supposed to turn off the regular light and keep the purple light on, but during the day do I need both lights on? Or just the regular one?
Old 05-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #6 
tromboneplaya

Yeah, it's probably because you had her out so early. She's probably not used to people, and scared of her new surroundings. I highly suggest not touching her again until she's had a couple successful meals. Stress will just make her less likely to feed. And if anything, she probably wanted to go back into her cage. Snakes don't exactly enjoy human interaction the way dogs and cats do....they kind of just tolerate it. I think the only snake of mine that probably genuinely enjoys being out with me is hognose...the rest would rather stay in their cages.

I rarely see any of my snakes, except for my western hognose, but she's active during the day. Everyone else is out at night and I don't really see them. Snakes are kind of boring creatures, because they're up when we're asleep. So, if you want to see it during the day, I wouldn't count on that ever happening.

No, you don't want them both on during the day. You want the snake to have a hot spot and cold spot. Preferably the hot spot will be around 85 and the cold spot will be around 75.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 PM   #7 
Eep Crood

At the pet store they told me that every single meal they fed her was "successful" (whatever that means). I don't know if they're just trying to make me happy or if they were being truthful. I'm not sure what their definition of successful is (she obviously must have eaten, but I'm not sure how long it took her). When should I switch her to eating older mice? I am not sure how old she is, I think she is less than a year. She is pretty small, and she is currently eating pinkies.

Also, when she was at the pet store she did not hide, but that could just be because the other snakes she was with stole the hiding places. The pet store people said that she was diurnal. Then you told me she was crepuscular. And now your telling me she's nocturnal?

Also, I'm a bit concerned about salmonella, I touched Cassey and forgot to wash my hands and my hands were on my face, my knuckles touching my teeth. I am not sure how long I was doing it for, it's a habit so I do it without thinking about it. I immediately rinsed put my mouth. Should I be concerned? I hear reptiles carry salmonella.

Last edited by Eep Crood; 05-18-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:54 PM   #8 
tromboneplaya

I mean successful feeds with you. I'm sure she was eating prior to when you got her. Her "prey" should be about the same width as the largest area of her body. So, as long as pinks are still the same size as her body, don't bump her up yet.

Snakes really aren't social, and shouldn't be housed together, so when she was at the pet store, she was probably just upset that she was with others (at least that's my guess). They are crepuscular, active most during dawn and dusk, but if I get up in the middle of the night to get a drink or something she's sometimes out. So, I suppose you could also make the argument that they are nocturnal. But I haven't heard any corn snake owners say that they are diurnal...and most people on snake forums seem to agree that crepuscular accurately describes them. Maybe you'll be lucky and yours will be out during the day some, but I've never encountered it.

You should definitely get into the habit of washing your hands before and after handling, it's good for you and the snake. But do you have to worry because you forgot this one time? Probably not. I know I've forgotten before, and probably will again, and I've even let my snakes nudge around my cheeks, and I haven't gotten anything yet. Try not to stress too much about it, because you can't do much about it now :)
Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #9 
Eep Crood

Week 1 day 3

Today I found the top of the terrarium not closed all the way and Cassey was nowhere in sight. I checked under both caves and the plant, even under the water dish... But I couldn't find her anywhere! I was so scared that she had escaped and I frantically searched all over my room! I then found her hiding under the wood chips in her terrarium. Sneaky snake!

Other than that, not much to report... She has not pooped ever since I got her, should I be concerned? And about how often will she shed? I have not handled her all day. Tomorrow is feeding day, we'll see how that goes
Old 05-19-2014, 07:02 PM   #10 
tromboneplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
Today I found the top of the terrarium not closed all the way and Cassey was nowhere in sight. I checked under both caves and the plant, even under the water dish... But I couldn't find her anywhere! I was so scared that she had escaped and I frantically searched all over my room! I then found her hiding under the wood chips in her terrarium. Sneaky snake!

Other than that, not much to report... She has not pooped ever since I got her, should I be concerned? And about how often will she shed? I have not handled her all day. Tomorrow is feeding day, we'll see how that goes
Haha mine actually got out once...but she's lazy and just laid on top of her cage! I've since added more clips and it hasn't happened again lol.

Nope, don't worry about it. Mine usually poop the day after a meal, but that won't always be the case...all snakes are different. My corn snake sheds about once a month, and she is still growing, so I expect that to slow down eventually. I'm sure feeding will go well....I think most corn snakes are pretty ravenous!