Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #11 
Eep Crood

Week 1 day 4

Today was feeding day. I put some water in a cup and heated it for 1 minute, it was pretty hot. I then added the pinkie. I kept the pinkie in water for 30 minutes and then took it out. I used tweezers to pick up the pinkie by its Tail and put Cassey in a clear plastic bin. I held up the pinkie for Cassey to strike at, then she strikes it while I let go of it. She didn't get it in her mouth. She just stared at it, coiling up like she was ready to strike, then finally she took it in her mouth and just held it in her mouth for awhile. Then finally it started to go down... Really slowly. It was really interesting to see the pinkie going down her ... It was weird!
I was glad the feeding was successful!!! am I doing this correctly?

What exactly are pinkies? Are they newborns or fetuses? They look like fetuses because they are in that fetal position and have no hair. What is the next level up from pinkies, and when do I upgrade Cassey to the next level? You said she was 6 months old.

How often do they shed? She hasn't shed since I got her
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #12 
tromboneplaya

Yep, that sounds perfect to me.

Pinkies are newborns, one to four days old. Rats and mice don't get fur for five or six days...until then they're naked little pink things! You don't want to feed her anything larger than the widest part of her body. My corn will be a year in July, and I just upped her to fuzzies a few weeks ago. I started feeding her two pinkies per meal when she was around 8 months.

They shed about once a month, maybe less maybe more depending on how often you feed and how fast they are growing. Mine has been growing at a rate of 6" per month and she's been shedding about once a month. Once they reach adult size they will only shed a few times a year.
tromboneplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 05:33 PM   #13 
Eep Crood

Week 1 day 5

Not much to report. Cassey is still hiding a lot, which I hope at least improves a little bit as she gets adjusted to her new home. I am so glad we had a successful feeding last night
Old 05-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #14 
Eep Crood

Week 1 day 6

Not much to report, other than Cassey will not stop hiding. I wish she would just come out instead of hiding under her caves and plant all day. She is so shy, I wish she would just come out and explore. When people come over, I tell them I have a snake and I take them to see her, it will always bee that they'll say "where is she?" Or "I don't see a snake in there" instead of "oh! she's so cool!" And "can I hold her?" I wish Cassey would JUST COME OUT
Old 05-22-2014, 04:44 PM   #15 
tromboneplaya

Lol that's just a snake thing. I could take a picture of all five of my cages at any time during the day and 9 times out of 10 there wouldn't be a snake in sight (save for my hognose). I really only ever see my pythons, boa, and corn snake from like 10pm-7am. And, yours just might be shy, some never really like to come out. My bumblebee ball python is still very skittish and prefers to only come out when no is moving around the room.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #16 
Eep Crood

Week 1 day 7

You should try the picture thing :)
Is there anything I can do to make Cassey come out more? She hides under her Plant and caves ALL DAY. Not kidding.
Cassey still hasn't pooped in a week, is this normal?
Also, Cassey is dirty from her wood chips. How do I clean/bathe her?

Last edited by Eep Crood; 05-23-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #17 
tromboneplaya

Haha I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it. You won't see anyone lol!

Honestly, no, not without messing with her day night cycle which isn't a good idea.

It's probably nothing to worry about. Some of mine poop after every meal, and some won't poop for like four meals. If she's anything like mine, you won't even be able to find it most of the time, because their poops are so tiny and they blend in with the bedding.

You can soak her in some lukewarm water (be very careful that it's not too hot and not too cold) and then let her crawl through some paper towels.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:32 PM   #18 
thekinetic

Cute snake, I just love the name even though I keep hearing it with a few extra S's. Cassssy, lol! XD
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #19 
Eep Crood

What temperature should the water be? Is tap water OK?
I got the humidity levels down to 50%, is this ok?
Old 05-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #20 
tromboneplaya

Something like 80 degrees should be fine for soaking. And yeah, tap water is fine. I just put a 2-3 inches of water in my bathtub when I give my snakes baths, but while they're small you can just use a sink or container.

50% is fine. I keep mine about 40-50% and bump it to about 60% during sheds.

And here's a picture of a typical day in my rep room. The only snake in sight is my hognose, Clarice. (sorry it's blurry, I took the picture with my iphone)
Attached Images