Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #1 
kikuhoshi

Post Issues with Water Conditioner?

Up until this past month, I used Top Fin Betta Conditioner in Armand's tank. We never really had issues, except that the tank was always cloudy - no biggie to me, I heard it was common. I moved home from school - other side of the state, big city to rural move, so city water back to well.

I'm glad I did. This past bottle went bad on me.

I went to change his water last Wednesday, after believing that he had fin rot, went to pour the conditioner in and it had crystallized around the inside of the measuring cup. I thought maybe that was an adverse reaction to air, so I rinsed it out and then poured in what I needed. It had small particles floating in it, and smelled terrible (melting plastic or urine, where before, it had a slight hospital-like smell). I checked in the bottle, and it looked like sand had formed on the bottom - confirmed by its movement when I swirled the bottle.

I realize now that his fin issue was probably him being annoyed by the conditioner and gnawing it off. I spent all night researching it (thankful that I had well water, so he was safe without it for a night), and I haven't heard of anything similar happening before. The bottled had been spilt in early January (during unpacking), but was picked up, closed, and checked for any leaks (zero). I'm just confused.

(I use Prime now, the 50mL - the water isn't cloudy, stays clear longer, and he's happier - plus, his fins are growing back already! :D)

So, tl;dr: My Top Fin conditioner went bad - has anyone else had that problem?
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #2 
xxabc

Honestly I'm not shocked, all things go "bad." But does it have an expiration date? Who knows.

Maybe when it "leaked open", it got contaminated with something. And something meaning, pretty much absolutely anything. If you're bored and you wanna go try some chemical experiments, go right on ahead, haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM   #3 
kikuhoshi

My only issue with it is that I literally bought it a week prior to moving - I even looked for an expiration date and couldn't find one or anything about one. Even with the spilling, it fell onto my desk, somehow remained upright, and what came out was splashed upwards, not knocked out or anything.

Last edited by kikuhoshi; 03-29-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Edit on timing (having another conversation and on Nyquil), plus I hit "enter" too soon.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #4 
xxabc

The only thing I can reaaally think up of is that it reacted with something in the air- as unlikely as it seems (however I myself have seen things more absurd, so maybe I'm just lookin' at a different light here). If you really want to, go ahead and call TopFin and ask them about this. Call or email, and see what they say about it.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote