Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #11 
vaygirl

It's simple. If your tank is cycled, you can do 10-25% water changes weekly once it's finished it's cycle and it's stable. You should still be testing the water weekly with a liquid test kit to make sure you're on top of things and you know what your parameters are.

If your tank is not cycled you should be doing 100% water changes at least weekly or more often if your tank is small (2.5 gallons or less). You can throw a 50% in there if you're pressed for time but the smaller the tank, the more often you should be changing 100% of the water. A test kit will help you know when your ammonia is too high. It's important to have your own liquid test kit or it's just a guessing game. Fish pee and poop all the time and that's where your ammonia comes from so it's constantly being introduced to the tank. That's why you have to change the water as much as you can in a tank that's not cycled.

I hope that makes sense.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #12 
soleilvie

WuGolfer07, there is not ONE SOLE TRUTH to the amount of water changes you need to be doing every week. Of course there are going to be contradictions. People are going by what they may have experienced to be the best amount of water changes every week and are giving you advice based on experience. There isn't a set of rules that you need to follow and everything else is just "bunk". I agree with vaygirl, test the water for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and you will be able to see for yourself how often you should be changing the water.
soleilvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 AM   #13 
kelly528

As others have said, water changes depend not only on how the tank is cycled but ALSO how heavily the tank is 'stocked'. For instance if I had a 2 inch goldfish in a 5g I would want to change the water...

a) 50% Twice weekly in an UNcycled tank
or
b) 100% daily in a cycled tank

When people give you water change percentages and frequencies, basically what they are doing is taking the size of the tank, sizing up the fish stocked in your tank, taking in whether it is uncycled or cycled, and then spitting out 'You need to change your water ___% and do it ___ times weekly.

Despite all the advice floating around out there there IS one surefire way to test when your tank needs to be cleaned... what all these people are driving at is giving you a water change schedule that will...

-prevent your ammonia from reaching harmful levels if the tank is uncycled
-prevent your nitrate from reaching harmful levels if the tank is cycled.

So simply by testing your ammonia or nitrate and basing your water change schedule around changing the water when they get too high, you can figure out exactly when to change the water for any tank or any stocking scheme or size.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #14 
soleilvie

100% daily in a cycled tank?
Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #15 
kelly528

Whoops lol other way around... better edit before I confuse anyone else!

....uhh why can I edit this post but not my previous one?! This is messed up.

Last edited by kelly528; 03-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

You sure confused the heck out of me for a minute there! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #17 
soleilvie

It seems that you can only edit posts that you *just* submitted, not ones from awhile ago. It doesn't work for me either.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think you have a 15-20 minute time frame in which you can edit posts.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote