Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-18-2014, 02:50 AM   #1 
AARRGGHHH

Betta with Two Lumps on his Tail Fin

My betta has 2 lumps on his tail fin, one on each side. One is about the size of a bb, the other one slightly smaller. He's having some trouble getting larger bloodworms in his mouth, but is doing well with smaller bloodworms, that's his only symptom, and it could be completely unrelated. What could these lumps be, and what treatment is appropriate?

Thank you
AARRGGHHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:22 AM   #2 
beautiful Betta

Hi, if you can, can you post a picture.

Also can you fill in this info sheet as best as you can as it will help members to advise the best treatment.

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
beautiful Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:57 AM   #3 
AARRGGHHH

Housing: 1 gallon tank with aeration, 100% water change once a week.
Food: Frozen Bloodworms
Chemicals: Water tests normal.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:59 AM   #4 
AARRGGHHH

A piece of the larger lump has broken off. What's rest of the lump was originally white, but now has a somewhat muddy color, maybe from blood. I've begun treating with Erythromycin, in case it's an infection.

Any insight on lumps would be deeply appreciated.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:38 AM   #5 
beautiful Betta

without a picture it is difficult to say it could be a tumour if its on both sides. Could be a fungus infection.

However your tank is on the small side and for that size tank you need to be doing more water changes than you are. I would say about 50% every other day, and one 100%

I am assuming this is unfiltered and you would not be getting normal healthy tank readings in that size tank with only one water change a week. I am guessing you either used strips to test or a store tested and used strips?

The strips are inaccurate and ideally your water needs to be tested with API liquid test kits. Ammonia would be the one I would recommend you get.

I would recommend clean warm water, a heater set at a minimum of 76F closer to 80F is better. Assuming you haven't got one, didn't fill the sheet in so have no idea.

And I would recommend getting Seachems Prime water conditioner as that will help your fish with any Ammonia and nitrite issues. And that can be added daily.

With no other real information or pictures it is almost impossible to advise on your treatment.

Good luck with him.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #6 
AARRGGHHH

None of this has anything to do with lumps. I appreciate your concern, but this is not a water quality issue.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:00 PM   #7 
LittleBlueFishlets

Are they truly on the fin itself? Or are they actually on the body? Is it a single lump, extending his entire width? Or.... well, I have lots of questions.

Can you post some photos? This could help people see where the lumps are located (which is important), their size, etc.

If possible, post at least one photo from each side, and one overhead view (standing over the tank and looking down at him).

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 05-26-2014 at 11:02 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #8 
beautiful Betta

Actually water condition can play a big part in a fish's condition, poor water quality ultimately stresses the fish out which then lowers the fishes immune system opening the doors for all kinds of infections.

But like LBF said some pictures would be useful to help us understand see what we are dealing with.

If you don't how to post pictures it is fairly easy, the way I do it, take pictures with a camera, then download to pc, resize them to medium then upload the medium image to photobucket. (photobucket is a free site you will need to register on to open.) Once there you copy/upload your picture then you can click on the pictures IMG link which will copy the IMG link. then back on this site click on the picture image box which is at the top of the grey text box, the little yellow picture square with black mountains and sun. Another box will appear just delete the blue highlighted text and right click in text box then paste your link, and then click ok, it will appear in the main forum text box as a code but will appear as your picture when you post the thread.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #9 
AARRGGHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
Are they truly on the fin itself? Or are they actually on the body? Is it a single lump, extending his entire width? Or.... well, I have lots of questions.

Can you post some photos? This could help people see where the lumps are located (which is important), their size, etc.

If possible, post at least one photo from each side, and one overhead view (standing over the tank and looking down at him).
Yes, the lumps are on the fin itself. They were originally the same color as his fins. It's two lumps, one on each side of the fin. One is small, maybe three times the size of an eye. The other was originally bigger, but part of it broke off, the remainder of the lump is now white.

I have tried to take pictures, but he's a crown tail, other parts of his fins usually cover up the lumps, making it difficult to get a useful photo.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 PM   #10 
beautiful Betta

Do the lumps look fluffy?