Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Unhappy set up my first sorority and after 10 mins together it has gone all down hill :(

I have 3 female bettas ( i know MOST say 4, but also A LOT have said 3 is fine) and for the first 10 mins or so all was well. But now, one is chasing the other 2 and wont leave them alone! :( what do i do? I don't have a suitable housing arrangement for the bully :( This stinks.
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #2 
xxabc

Really? Who has told you three? I usually hear four is the "absolute" minimum. Right now, either seperate them immediately, or buy more female bettas. What size is the tank? If you buy more bettas, try buying two. It may crowd the tank (depending on size), however the aggression is more important at this point if you're not willing to seperate them. More frequent water changes may be needed, be it only one more time a week. Hopefully it ends well though, usually sororities are tricky!
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #3 
WuGolfer07
Banned

wow i have quickly learned that this forum has some contradictions. I have read on THIS very forum that 3-4 in a 10gal ( which i have) is fine. I NEVER said i was not willing, wow. I said, i do not have another suitable housing setup at the moment. i CANT move them anywhere. That's why i asked what to do :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Really? Who has told you three? I usually hear four is the "absolute" minimum. Right now, either seperate them immediately, or buy more female bettas. What size is the tank? If you buy more bettas, try buying two. It may crowd the tank (depending on size), however the aggression is more important at this point if you're not willing to seperate them. More frequent water changes may be needed, be it only one more time a week. Hopefully it ends well though, usually sororities are tricky!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #4 
xxabc

Please don't take everything straight to heart, no one is being intentionally mean and it makes things harder :(

This is a thread from this forum:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...orities-29402/

"Number of females- Females can be as aggressive as males. The more females you have spreads out the aggression. It is not a good idea to have only two females together as this will cause one to beat up on the other and it could result in the death of one or both of the females. It is also not recommended to have less than 4 females. Six or more is better. Be careful not to overstock your tank. "

And I also have not been following your threads, nor following you around, so I wasn't aware on your tank size, or your situation, so I still had to ask anyways. A 10 gallon can definitely house more female bettas. I would push the limit a little, and try to go for 5. Maybe 6 if you're up for it. And I never said you weren't willing - I was just saying that sororities intimidate me a little, as females CAN be aggressive as males.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:13 PM   #5 
WuGolfer07
Banned

hmm..well sadly, i will not be able to purchase anymore until tomorrow evening the earliest. Will the current 3 last? and thank you

Quote:
Please don't take everything straight to heart, no one is being intentionally mean and it makes things harder :(

This is a thread from this forum:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...orities-29402/

"Number of females- Females can be as aggressive as males. The more females you have spreads out the aggression. It is not a good idea to have only two females together as this will cause one to beat up on the other and it could result in the death of one or both of the females. It is also not recommended to have less than 4 females. Six or more is better. Be careful not to overstock your tank. "

And I also have not been following your threads, nor following you around, so I wasn't aware on your tank size, or your situation, so I still had to ask anyways. A 10 gallon can definitely house more female bettas. I would push the limit a little, and try to go for 5. Maybe 6 if you're up for it. And I never said you weren't willing - I was just saying that sororities intimidate me a little, as females CAN be aggressive as males.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #6 
WuGolfer07
Banned

the bully has settled down finally. One girl is hiding in the castle and another girl is chilling by a plant and the bully is just swimming around. Is this a good sign? or the quite before the storm?
Old 03-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #7 
xxabc

I can't say if they'll be okay or not. It can be better, it can be worse, who knows? It all depends on the bettas. And sadly, that's not a good sign at all - we don't want a female hiding under the castle stressed. Her life won't be very nice. Please check for stress stripes, horizontal lines. The stress stripes mean what they say - that the female is stressed.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 PM   #8 
WuGolfer07
Banned

ugh.. i was told on THIS forum to put hiding places in the tank for the girls and i did just that. The fish could simply by chilling in their. She is exploring now, but who knows. But i will get a couple more asap

Quote:
I can't say if they'll be okay or not. It can be better, it can be worse, who knows? It all depends on the bettas. And sadly, that's not a good sign at all - we don't want a female hiding under the castle stressed. Her life won't be very nice. Please check for stress stripes, horizontal lines. The stress stripes mean what they say - that the female is stressed.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:22 PM   #9 
WuGolfer07
Banned

correction, i READ on this forum to put hiding places and plants
Old 03-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #10 
xxabc

Could I see a picture? By hiding places and plants, it's usually best to "crowd" them as well. Bettas like a lot of hiding places and such, so crowding plants is good as well. However, look for stress stripes - if they're visible (horizontal lines), then we'll know she's not simply chilling there, but rather hiding. But hopefully she really is just chilling there.

Hopefully someone else comes and helps, I have to go!