Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

got my ghost shrimp

I went to my LFS to see if they had small world filters (they didn't) but they had ghost shrimp 4 for $1 (more than 10c less per shrimp than petsmart). So I picked up my 8 ghost shrimp.

At least 3 of them have eggs and I'm looking up how to hatch them into live babies.. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do it or not.

Right now the shrimp are floating in the tank. My fish are cupped and I'm going to release the shrimp (4 per side) when I get back from class... I'm going to let them crawl around for a little while before adding the fish back in. I don't think my fish will be able to eat them but we'll see. They're pretty big.

I'll get some pics of the shrimp later.

On a side note I went to the thrift and got two 2 gallon hex for $16. One has the light, gravel, and most of the undergravel filter, the other just has the cover but not the hood, and parts of the ugf. I'm not gonna set them up yet but I'm excited I got them.. I really like these tanks (sans filter though)
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #2 
nochoramet

Sounds like a good deal! Maybe you can get the shrimpies to hatch, maybe not. I hope they don't get munched on my your fish! I know when I had mine, they fish couldn't eat them but they would torture them by nipping at them and chasing them around and they ended up dying. Hopefully that won't be the case with yours though. Good luck! (put up pics if you can :D)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

I got a few pics but they are hard to get in focus. For now I'm just gonna throw the mom's in the tank... if I see them pregnant again I'll take them out. I'm not sure what my fish are going to do... just have to wait and see. I'm going to give them a few hours to search the tanks and find hidey holes before I put Blue Jeans and Fish back in.

I ended up having 10 instead of 8 which is perfectly fine.. honestly I don't know how many will survive. If none survive I'll go back and get 20 to better my odds.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:26 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Oh, how cute! I hope they hatch. Good luck!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #5 
doggyhog

Sweeeeet!!! I asked for 10 ghost shrimp and got 14 LOL!!!!!!! 1 died on the way home though.

I think I have one left. (Maybe) Oh well, they were good snacks. Paid 12 cents a piece for mine.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sure your fish loved them. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:03 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Roald Dahl ate my last shrimp! I put the shrimp in there because I thoguht Dahl was my nicest betta and would leave him alone...guess not!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Haha.. actually they were really good. I just put them in one at a time. Fish chased a few around but didn't bite at them or flare. After a minute he was just doing his thing. When I put Blue Jeans in he completely ignored the shrimp.. he even got way up close, face to face with one and did nothing.

I'm going to try to count them tomorrow to see if anyone was hurt or killed.. its hard to count them though because there are so many hiding spots now that I have the plants and the driftwood. All the fish and snails and shrimp seem like a happy family so far.

I'm VERY happy to see the shrimp snacking on my diatom problem. I might get some more to put in my other tanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #9 
angelus2402004

My petsmart doesn't have any ghost shrimp. Apparently they haven't had any for years. :(
angelus2402004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:19 AM   #10 
1fish2fish

All of mine do.. except they've been out lately.

Update: Well today I could only find 3 shrimp on fish's side and 2 on BJ's side. I saw two "shell" looking things on Fish's side so I think he ate two of the shrimp.. thats too bad. I'm going to do a full count tomorrow by taking the fish out and looking under the driftwood and pots to make sure nobody's hiding. If I don't find anymore live ones I'm going to go get some more. I heard at Pet Supermarket they sell ghost shrimp as "feeder shrimp" and I can get them even cheaper than from my LFS so I'm going to swing by there and see.

My hypothesis is that if I keep adding shrimp, eventually the fish will get bored and stop eating them... we'll see.