Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2010, 09:03 AM   #1 
Picassothebetta

Picasso Dided--Now What?????

Picasso had been sick for a couple of days. On wednesday he was not swimming up by the front of the tank and I could barely get him to eat bloodworms. He lives in a 5 gallon tank. HIs filter was very ready to be changed anyway so I changed the filter and did a two gallon water change with aquarium salt. This did not seem to help and the next day he was worse--laying on the bottom of the tank back behind the plants, barely coming up to breath, not eating, and he seemed weak. On thursday we bought a broad spectrum antibiotic and out it in.

He was still laying on the bottom, and yesterday while we were at work he died. When we removed his body from the tank it looks like he might have had a little of the gold dusting look of velvet (I think) that we did not catch before, so he might have had velvet but he was not swimming around scratching himself on stuff.....

How do you deal with a tank after a fish has died of something unknown? Any ideas what Picasso could have had? I was really upset by his death and do not want this to happen to another fish....
Picassothebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #2 
bloo97

He may have had a fungus problem.
Sorry about Picasso. ):
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #3 
Chicklet

I disinfect everything of mine,
Using a Javex in Water solution.

Washing out with Salt or Vinegar doesn't kill alot of things as some folks might believe,

I keep a bucket full on the go here all the time, Drop in all my nets & hoses after every use,

When I break a tank down that needs disinfection I use an algae scrub brush, Remove everything from the tank, Dump in some of the javex water from the bucket into the tank and give it a good cleaning, Then rince and rince several times until the Javex smell dissipates.

If your gonna do it right then Your ornaments, fake tress, gravel everything needs to go thru the javex rinse. before being used again.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:36 AM   #4 
ThePearlFish

I am so sorry about your fish, it must have been hard! :( I would go with the suggestion Chicklet gave on disinfecting the tank if you want to get another fish in the future.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:29 PM   #5 
reaperss06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicklet View Post
I disinfect everything of mine,
Using a Javex in Water solution.

Washing out with Salt or Vinegar doesn't kill alot of things as some folks might believe,

I keep a bucket full on the go here all the time, Drop in all my nets & hoses after every use,

When I break a tank down that needs disinfection I use an algae scrub brush, Remove everything from the tank, Dump in some of the javex water from the bucket into the tank and give it a good cleaning, Then rince and rince several times until the Javex smell dissipates.

If your gonna do it right then Your ornaments, fake tress, gravel everything needs to go thru the javex rinse. before being used again.

what is this javex?
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #6 
Rain Drop

Sorry about your fish!

Javex is a brand of bleach.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #7 
reaperss06

ah ok, is it purchased at pet stores or online or what??
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:57 PM   #8 
Chicklet

You can buy it at any grocery store, Walmart, alot of stores sell it, It's a bleach, Just regular old bleach.
any bran will do so long as it's bleach.

gets white clothes whiter

Last edited by Chicklet; 03-27-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote