Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #1 
veganchick

Amazing petsmart conditions!!!!!

ever weekend I go to petsmart and hold dogs and help with humane society and animal control dog adoptions. The petsmart I go to always has horific conditions and most of the animals there are dying or dead. I wrote this huge letter to their manager and talked about ho goldfish guppies and betas shouldn't be kept on display together in half gallon tanks and how the fish needed their tanks CLEANED every once in awhile and how the reptiles needed to eat...... I hadn't been there in a few (4 i think) weeks and I went back last night for a dog adoption and they had about 45 bettas all with crystal clean cups, none were dead and all were correctly labeled. The water level was fairly high, and their only display tank was a 5 gallon with a betta and some ghost shrimp in it. All of the reptiles were alive and well, and even their feeder goldfish were in better conditions than usual. The mammals all had clean cages with food water and toys (the toys and cleanliness are new). I talked with the new employee while holding my lovely adoptable Pomeranian who she fell in love with and called her sister to adopt. The employee showed me all of her "babies" and talked about how hard it was to part with them! She does daily betta cup cleaning and socializes all the reptiles, mammals, and birds at least 3 times a week. When I wasn't talking to her, I heard her telling a little girl that if the girl got a goldfish for her little minibow it wuld die soon because it didn't have enough room and telling her to get a betta or a guppy instead (it was 2.5g). I was so impressed I just had to tell you that writing a letter will make a difference! I could not BELEIVE the wonderful conditions!!!!!!!!!
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #2 
bloo97

OH MY FLIPPEN G!!!!!!!!!
Thats incredible!! Im going to Pet Supermarket today or tommorow to get a CT.
Ill see their conditions.(:
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:12 PM   #3 
punkchica321

That's so awesome! :D I'm surprised by the bettas at my petco they all appeared to be healthy and their cups were clean.
punkchica321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #4 
doggyhog

YAY!!!!!!!! That is soooo awesome!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #5 
Noko

My local petsmart usually keeps all their animals in good conditions. I see dirty water every once and awhile, and it broke my heart when I saw a betta with severe dropsy (he either died or was sold after a few days). My local petco on the other hand is a dirty place, and I felt so bad for the most amazing DT betta ever in the small little cups about half the size of the cups from petsmart.

It's great to know that there is one less animal torturing store now. Only time will tell if it's going to stay that way.
Noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #6 
xxabc

That's amazing! Would you consider the one employee to thank (or for the majority), or the entire store? Seems like it's doing a great job.

I should do that.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #7 
veganchick

yah I am soooo exited! I think that it is both the store and the employee that are doing a great job!!!!!!! I am stting at my computer right now sharing a chair wth my mutt and writing a letter to the manager saying how much of an improvement I have see and how happy i am!!!!!
Old 03-27-2010, 04:29 PM   #8 
herbwin

You can find a good fish room at Petsmart, it just depends on who's running it. I have always avoided buying fish at the chains, because of both the quality and the price. However, the other week I stopped in one while they were having a $1 tetra sale. The tanks were clean and fish were fat and healthy with no signs of sickness. I picked some differet ones up and am very pleased with them.

The next week I stopped at one closer to my house and it was like night and day. Same set up and fish, but tanks were dirty and uncirculated, fish were listless, skinny and even smaller than the other location.

It all comes down to the staff, it's hard for them to find and keep good people. And even when they have someone good, if the other emps don't follow instructions, the whole think falls apart anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #9 
veganchick

yep, I agree but I would never get an animal from anywhere but a rescue
Old 03-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #10 
veganchick

or a situation where the animal would need to be rescued, but it would not harm other animals in the process