Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #1 
Lilgurl

Unhappy Sukii is sick, need help???

I've had Sukii for a couple of weeks now and he was doing great. But I noticed that he either hangs out at the bottom of his tank under a shell or way up at the top floating on a plant leaf. He no longer swims around like he used to and his fins are not as full. they seem smaller now and was wondering if he has fin rot? He acts sickly and not full of spunk like he used too be. I changed a 1/3 of his water the other day and he seemed to purk up a bit but now today he is back to his old sickly self.
Does anybody have any help for Sukii???
Pleez...
Lilgurl
Lilgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:01 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having problems, just a few questions.....
What size tank, filtration, water temp
Water changes how much and how often, the last one a few days ago of 1/3
Do you have water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH
Any additives used, if so, what kind, what for, how much....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:47 PM   #3 
Lilgurl

Its a 2 1/2 gallon tank one of those that has five sides, air bubbler, underground filteration and his tank temp is running at 76. I just changed his water two or three days ago. Took out 1/3 of the tank and replaced it with tap water that had an additive of TetraAgua AquaSafe which is a water conditioner. I just added a few drops because it calls for 1 tsp per 10 gallons of water. I did use this when I brought him home too. I do not have any water levels or numbers. Nvr checked for that. I try to change his water once a week. I have read on here about putting aquarium salt in the water but have not done this yet?
Old 03-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use Aquasafe also. You're supposed to use 7 drops per gallon of water.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #5 
Lilgurl

Any suggestions?????
Old 03-28-2010, 12:12 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I would increase your water changes to 50% twice a week on a regular basis, now I would start doing daily water changes of 50% for the next 5-7 days and raise the water temp to 78-80F area, hold off on the salt for now but if you do use it add 1tsp/gal along with the daily water changes but don't use the salt any longer than 10 days, but he may perk up after a couple daily water changes and warmer water. I would also hold his food for 3 days to let him clean out.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #7 
Lilgurl

He hasnt been eating today or yesterday. I changed his water yesterday and did add the salt 1 tsp per gallon. I am heating his water and at first he was swimming all over the place, now he is mostly laying at the bottom but swimms up for air at the top. I will keep up with the water changes - daily. His fins i have noticed are redish and white and they are slowly going. Could this be fin rot and will the water changes help? Or should I be adding something else, medicine???