Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #1 
kuklachica

His poo looks normal now, what should I do?

I posted earlier about my boy, Cielo, looking bloated (he has always been on the boated side since I got him). I fasted him for 3 days and he didn't look any different. And I saw him poo a clear poo - not mucousy (it was still shaped like a long poo) but clear. So this is what I have done since:

1. Put him in a kritter keeper which was easier to do a WC every day (he was in his own 2.5 previously, so didn't share a tank with anyone).

2. Treated him with Jungle Parasite Clear

3. Bought some Jungle Parasite Medicated food, which I think he ate. He didn't eat any of it right away, but in the morning most of it was gone. I know you're not supposed to leave food in if they don't eat it, but he thinks he is a cory (even tho he's never met one) and prefers to scrounge on the bottom to eating on the top).

I have changed his water the past 3 days and added a quarter of the JPC tablet eat time.

Yesterday I noticed little "segements" of poo on the bottom of his tank and they looked very concetrated with no hint of mucous. They were brown and normal look, just very small. This morning, I found two of the largest betta poos I have ever seen at the bottom of his tank. And they had no hint of mucous. He also looks less bloated today.

This whole time he has NEVER shown any change in behavior or eating pattern, and he has been blowing bubble nests even while in his hospital tank.

I am wondering what I should do at this point? Since I never actually saw any worms coming from his anus, maybe he was just incredibly constipated the whole time? Maybe he's one of those "one pellet in the AM and PM and fast me once a week" boys?

What should I do now? And what should I do with my other boys (since, if he does have parasites, they were exposed via using the same cups, cleaning tools, etc.)?

Thank you!!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #2 
kuklachica

I just realized... I started feeding my guys Hikari about a month ago... and since then Cielo has been getting more bloated. I haven't been feeding him the Hikari over the last 5 days between fasting him and giving him the JPC pellets... Previously I had been feeding Wardley's. I am wondering if this caused his bloating and intestinal reaction???? MANY people on another forum have had many problems with Hikari's new formula (more "filler" and even MSG) and have even lost some fish due to the food. Their other fish have look listless and lost color until they changed their food. I wonder if this might have been part of Cielo's problem???
Old 03-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is it a problem with Bio gold or Hikari food in general?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #4 
doggyhog

You should switch him to Aqueon pellets. They are the best IMO.

I've read about the Hikari problems and so I stay clear of them!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:27 PM   #5 
kuklachica

Bio gold, but I've heard that their frozen food is still fine.

Do you think this could have actually been the problem?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:51 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just switched to Aqueon the other day. Bio gold is only available at Feeders Supply and I'm never able to get there.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 PM   #7 
kuklachica

So what should I do now? Should I stop treating him with parasite clear (he has been treated for 3 days, each day 100% WC and a new 1/4 of a tablet)? Should I stop with the medicated pellets (he has stopped eating them, just spits them out)? Should I just start feeding him the Aqueon since he is pooping normally and just assume it was the Hikari that was irritating his intestinal tract? I'm just unsure of what to do next...
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #8 
doggyhog

Personally, I'd hold off the meds and see how he does. If his problems flare back up, put him back on the meds.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote