Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2010, 02:53 PM   #1 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Question question for those who have ACTUALLY purchased from aquabid

I need feedback from those who have actually purchased a betta off aquabid.com

First off, is it a scam? Is it too good to be true? Especially the prices i see? Do the bettas actually arive alive? If so, do they live a long time? Sorry, i am just VERY skeptical about this site. I have had some bad luck with ebay and craiglist
WuGolfer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #2 
bettababy

I have purchased from Aquabid in the past but not bettas. As with any auction site, use caution. You are buying for an individual who listed on the site, which means you will need to pay attention to where they are located, their history and comments from others who have purchased from that person, etc. Some of the sellers are great... some of them are scams... some of them just inexperienced people who are trying to make a buck... etc.

One of the things you should pay special attention to is the location of the seller. If you are located in the US, keep in mind that sellers from overseas are not figuring in the fact that everything must first go through customs, which not only takes more time and often times inexperienced handling of your fish, but the customs charges as well. While the fish may be perfectly healthy when it leaves... there is no guarantee it will survive customs, and what looks like a great price may be extremely expensive once you figure in the charges for customs. Also be sure they have a permit for export or the fish may never make it to you.

I have heard horror stories about bettas from Aquabid, but then I have also heard of some successful purchases. All you can do is use caution.

What I ordered were live plants, and from someone within the US. The plants were great, however... when I opened the box the day it arrived, I was presented with loose fiberglass insulation, which is an extreme health hazard. When I wrote to the person about it I was given a "flip" comment that nobody had ever complained about the insulation before, so she saw no reason to change her packing procedures. I then posted negative feedback for her on the site, which brought some very hostile emails from her insisting that I remove the negative feedback.

I mention this because watching the customer feedback can tell you a lot, and also to let you know that anything is possible, you just never known til something arrives. That was the last time I ordered from Aquabid.

Hope this helps you.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 
WuGolfer07
Banned

It does and thank you. I would really love to hear from someone who has purchased a betta from this site within the U.S.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Ask these people:

Vikki
Nochoramet (did I spell it right? LOL)
Min

I'll try and think of more.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #5 
Min

I bought a betta from aqua bid. He did arrive alive. We were having a really bad winter here & she waited until it got better to send him. I thought that was cool she took that into consideration. She packed him really good , double plastic bags a heat pack & tons of packing peanuts. Hes doing good although the lil guy is still biting at his tail. I dont think the tail thing has anything to do with the aquabid purchase I think hes just a spaz :) I dont really have anything negative to say about aquabid although ive only got 1 fish off there so far.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 
WuGolfer07
Banned

Who was the person you bought the betta from?
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 AM   #7 
Min

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuGolfer07 View Post
Who was the person you bought the betta from?
Betta_afinity

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...&Betta_afinity

Ooooo! just noticed you r from FL! The seller is in FL also.
Min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

There are some reliable breeders on Aquabid as well as some unreliable ones. You have to read the reviews on them before ordering, from what I've heard.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #9 
bettababy

If you're still looking to purchase bettas online, instead of Aquabid, you might want to try the International Betta Congress... http://www.ibcbettas.org/pages/
This is a group of experienced show breeders, most of their fish are show quality, and the prices are very good (some as low as $3). These people know how to properly ship healthy good bettas, and I would trust ordering from them before I would on Aquabid.

Hope this helps too.
bettababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:36 PM   #10 
nochoramet

Oh yeah, I had a great experience with aquabid, I bought from betta_affinity as well and she was a joy to work with. I was really pleased. My fish came alive and healthy, and he is a stunner now.

And doggyhog, you spelled it right!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote