Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2010, 02:03 AM   #1 
fancytail

cloudy filmy water!!!!!

okay so i just bought a new crowntail betta about a week ago. i've had plenty of them in the past and have never had a problem. but this one, as soon as i set it up in his 2 gal tank the next day his water was cloudy. so when it didn't settle i did 100% water change the next day cause it just made me sooo uncomfortable to look at him in there. the same thing happened the next time but then i figured i'd see what happened after a day or two then the greasy film started to form on the top which worried me cause i wanted to make sure he could get air. i did research and what i was coming up with was the bacteria bloom. but everywhere i looked they all had slightly different remedies. so being new here i'm asking for any help i can get on how to remedy this. i know i have to change his water more often cause of the smaller tank but just looking for some answers!!!!!!!

p.s. i am not using a filter in the tank (just moved too much for such a small tank) and i have cut back his feeding cause i thought it might be too much and i use a water conditioner made for small tanks
fancytail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:53 AM   #2 
Rain Drop

Maybe stuff is "leaking" off of the gravel and/or decor?
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #3 
bloo97

Hmmm...
Id have to agree.
P.S. Im doing this on my Wii, lol
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:07 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I would try changing water conditioners and see if that helps. I recommend Prime or Aquasafe.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #5 
Chicklet

Gravel wasn't washed enough. Wash it till it runs clear.

If that doesn't work, and it's a newly filled tank it could be from high levels of dissolved constituents such as phosphates, silicates or heavy metals, if this is the case you likely will find if tested high Ph levels,
Best is to treat with a conditioner as dramaqueen suggested.

Bacteria blossoms caused by a filter/cycle process doesn't usually show up until days, weeks even months later and you say you don't have a filter/cycle taking place.

Over feeding can also cause cloudy water, Cut back on the feeding and see if this makes a difference
Chicklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #6 
fancytail

thanks for the advice i'm gonna try a new conditioner and see if that helps
Old 03-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #7 
fancytail

ok so it definitely was the conditioner. which was weird cause i never had a problem with that type before. so glad i changed it. been 24 hours and water is still crystal clear. usually by now i wouldn't be able to see him hardly. and added a little mini heater cause it has been getting cold in our house so now he couldn't be happier. went with the prime conditioner THANKS for the suggestions
Old 03-29-2010, 06:31 PM   #8 
xxabc

What type of conditioner was it? There seems to be issues with cloudiness and conditioners lately. Bad batch? Just wondering.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #9 
fancytail

sorry it took me so long i was using the drop tablets because where i use to live they worked really well but evidently now that i've moved to a different state they just weren't cutting it for the water down here.