Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #71 
Pitluvs

Glueing would solve that issue LOL
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:09 PM   #72 
smellsfishie

Actually, I fixed the problem without glue! yippeeeee! It was pretty easy. I pulled out the dividers. Instead of putting one short end on one side and one short end on the other, I put both short ends (of the report binders) at the top of the divider. Then, I took a plastic straw and pinched it together so it could fit under the report binder, to connect the small end to the long end. I then cut off some of the top so the divider was not so tall (and getting weight down by the lid). Voila! perfectly straight dividers! EEP!!!

The problem:
Name:  divider 022.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  51.7 KB

How I fixed it:

1. Straw

Name:  divider 025.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  45.2 KB

2. Insert

Name:  divider 028.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  53.4 KB

3. Follow through

Name:  divider 029.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  64.0 KB
Name:  divider 030.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  63.5 KB

END RESULT:

Name:  divider 032.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  43.0 KB
Name:  divider 033.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  59.0 KB

Tah daahh!
smellsfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #73 
nel3

does adding a binder clip just below the crafting mesh (covered with gravel) give more stability? i have everything aside from the crafting mesh that needs to be purchased. the 5 gal has the filter on 1 half and the other half allows for a heater cable to run through. the filter is a marina slim 10 power filter. im not sure if i should go with a # 5 or 7 as i dont know how strong the filter may be. its also to reasonably block the lign of sight for the fish.

Last edited by nel3; 10-04-2011 at 06:32 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #74 
smellsfishie

Not sure, never tried it... if it is all plastic, try it! If it is metal, I would pass.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #75 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellsfishie View Post
Not sure, never tried it... if it is all plastic, try it! If it is metal, I would pass.
thank you, its the same plastic binder you'd use to hold the sides of the crafting mesh.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:41 PM   #76 
smellsfishie

Oh you mean the report binder? Yeah I put one on each side. It helps it be more straight.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 AM   #77 
ryansmith83

Thank you for this tutorial. I bought a 20 gallon long and wanted to divide it into three sections for my bettas. I only have one problem -- I used #7 black plastic mesh from Michael's craft store and the holes are big enough that the fish can see through it. I think it's causing a problem with one of my males because he has now gone psychotic and chewed off his whole tail.

The mesh I found is not very flexible. I notice the one in the first post came in a roll. Is this sold at a place like Michael's as well? For those who have used it, can your fish see each other, and has it caused a problem? I tried adding some tall silk plants on each side of the dividers to break up their line of sight, but they still find each other and flare.

I also had to get a bit creative with the edges where the binder spines meet the tank glass. I found that if my fish pushed just right, they could actually move the divider. I cut a 2" strip of the mesh, put a binder spine on each side of it, and shoved it between the divider and the glass so that it forms a T. See my picture example:

It also seems to help stabilize the dividers. I sewed these ends onto the main divider so that it all moves as one unit and I can easily remove them for cleaning.

FYI, I also put a panel in the back of the middle compartment to hide the heater and filter, and the mesh also acts as a baffle of sorts to break up the output flow from the filter. Multitasking. :D
ryansmith83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #78 
bastage

@ryansmith83

I have the same black mesh from Michaels in my divided 20L as well. The fish can all see each other, but after a little bit they stop flaring unless they by chance end up nose to nose & then the stop a few miniutes later. For my edges I used aquarium silicone to glue them into place & the e-tape on the outside to cover it so I didnt have a problem with them moving, but thats a very good workaround you did there for those that dont want to glue. I also like your mesh in the back to cover things up. I am doing an internal filter & am going to run a hose under the gravel to let out at the opposite end of the tank kind of like what the OP did except I am not going to bother with the extra outlets along the way since the pump intake & exhaust will be at opposite ends of the tank that should keep teh water moving in all compartments anyway.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #79 
emeraldsky

Thanks for making the tutorial, i was able to divide my 40g breeder because of it :D
Name:  TankCurrent.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  11.9 KB
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM   #80 
Draug Isilme

I usually don't like dividers, but this tutorial and pics are just fantastic ^.^ I love it! I just might use it to divide a tank in the future....
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote