Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #1 
SecondmateFlint

Bubbles in his tail

I looked at my betta today and my roommate and I noticed these tiny bubbles in his tail. I had noticed them a couple days ago as well. I just did a half water change so I'm hoping that makes them go away. Nothing I've read mentions bubbles in the tail. His fins were also really torn up. Which is a bummer because he was JUST healing too.

I also have two peppered cory catfish in the tank and he will steal their food every time I feed them. The catfish are getting along fine because I put a couple of their sinking pellets but I'm worried that maybe my betta is getting a reaction to them?

So to sum things up, I'm not sure what these bubbles in his tail are. They look like their on the outside of his tail, not internal. I'm also not sure what to do about him constantly eating these sinking shrimp pellets.
SecondmateFlint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:32 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

What size tank is he in? Is it heated? I don't know which fish are compatible with bettas, but the corys could be picking on him. Have you see them fight or chase the betta? Could you take a picture of the bubbles? To solve him eating the other fishes food, put him in a cup and float it during feeding time or buy a breeding box which is like $5 at Petsmart. Some bettas like company of other fish and some hate it, so make sure to keep a good eye out on him. Also, is the tank heavily planted? Bettas love resting up against plants and hiding.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:08 PM   #3 
SecondmateFlint

He is in a five gallon tank. It's not heated, but the room is kept so warm that the water stays about 76 degrees. I've never seen the corys go after him. Sometimes he sits right on top of them with his tail in front of their mouths and I think they bite him then. I've never seen them go after him though and vice versa. The tank has a couple of those cloth plants, but I do have one plastic plant he's in all the time. He just sits on the ground next to them and watches.

I can try to take a picture and post it. I also noticed two holes going through his tail as well. Should I be using live plants?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #4 
kikuhoshi

My apologies, no help, but this line, "Sometimes he sits right on top of them with his tail in front of their mouths and I think they bite him then," just cracked me up. Reminds me of my cats (we have 4) and my dog.
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:28 PM   #5 
vaygirl

There IS something called gas bubble disease. You can google it and see if it matches up. I've never seen it but I've read about it.

About the pellets, try feeding your corys when the lights are out just before you go to bed. They like to eat at night anyway and your betta might not 'notice' the pellets in that case. They're really smart though, these bettas. They learn from behavior. Little buggers.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #6 
SecondmateFlint

I looked up the gas bubble disease and the symptoms don't quite match what on BDAD's tail. I wish I had a camera to show it instead of explaining it. But what I did read is that gas bubble disease is caused by changing the water too quickly? I will keep it in mind, just in case.

That is a darn good idea. Hopefully under cover of darkness, the corys can get a good square meal. Thank you so much for the help.

Yeah, I don't blame the corys when they bite his tail, he leaves it right in front of them. I will watch the little bubbles, they almost look like warts on his tail.