Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-22-2014, 12:08 AM   #1 
myexplodingcat

This is nuttier than squirrel poo.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1400856626

That fish has a ton of rosetailing, but the breeder still calls it "show quality." Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that really undesirable? And his fins are a bizarre shape. I mean, he's pretty, but I don't think he's something you'd want to breed, is he?

And yet people are bidding upwards of $100 on him now. Not including shipping.

Someone... explain, please?
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 AM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

He doesn't really call that particular Betta show quality. All his auctions have the line "We're show quality Bettas breeder in Thailand." This Betta's also spoonheaded. Unfortunately, some people only see finnage and not the whole fish.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 05-22-2014 at 12:33 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #3 
freeflow246

Wow, he is pretty. Looks like red satin. Such deep color. I'm no expert, but I think you're right about the rosetailing thing... Surely we must be missing something lol.
freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:01 AM   #4 
myexplodingcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
He doesn't really call that particular Betta show quality. All his auctions have the line "We're show quality Bettas breeder in Thailand." This Betta's also spoonheaded. Unfortunately, some people only see finnage and not the whole fish.
Implications, though. It's dishonest, misleading advertising. And his pink background makes my eyes cross, but that's a personal thing.

Wow, yeah, he is really spoonheaded too.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myexplodingcat View Post
Implications, though. It's dishonest, misleading advertising. And his pink background makes my eyes cross, but that's a personal thing.

It depends on how you look at it. If the said breeder works on SQ bettas, then even his rejects are from SQ breeding. Breeders seldom sell their "first class" products. Usually only rejects are sold. . . . if that is a reject, imagine what his best fish looks like.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:12 AM   #6 
RussellTheShihTzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
It depends on how you look at it. If the said breeder works on SQ bettas, then even his rejects are from SQ breeding. Breeders seldom sell their "first class" products. Usually only rejects are sold. . . . if that is a reject, imagine what his best fish looks like.
My experience is with dogs and you're a fool to sell your best and let someone else take credit for all your hard work; so the lesser puppies are sol.

I can see where the seller's statement could be seen as misleading but I also remember English is his or her second language, too (I quoted the ad exactly).
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #7 
trilobite

He doesnt seem to bad... finnage is way too heavy for me but its symmetrical which is hard to find in most hm, especially in my country...
forwards pointing dorsal (although first rays could be longer), tail is too round,
spoon head and irids.

Hes only mild rosetail, so paired with a hm girl with less branching would result in some less heavily branched offspring

If he looked like this then I would be disgusted...this fish is a cull and shows the bad side of rosetail if its not managed carefuly

trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #8 
daniella3d

I don't see anything dishonest in that listing. The fish is beautiful, and nowhere they say he's show quality and in deed they do breed some show quality fish. I bought 7 fish from that breeder and all were very healthy and beautiful. Are they show quality? probably not, but they are still gorgious. If you want a show quality fish, contact the breeder and ask for one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myexplodingcat View Post

daniella3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:59 AM   #9 
myexplodingcat

I'm just wondering why people are paying $100 or more plus the crazy shipping for him, unless they think he's show quality.

He's pretty... but not worth that much cash. Unless it's rich people bidding against each other or something? I don't know. It seems crazy.
Old 05-24-2014, 03:15 AM   #10 
trilobite

In my country the average blue with redwash ct goes for $30 - $60, if its black then the price is boosted to 80-90. Pretty much anything dragon or hm will go for 70-90. We dont see anything near the quality of that aquabid fish here. We get other countries culls

It cost me over $100 for my pair of dragons at the pet store...and they had horrid form...especially the male... way way worse than that red hm
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crazy, not standard, rosetail, squirrel poo, weird