Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #1 
doggyhog

How do you tell?

If a fish is blind? The reason I'm asking is, Oliver is.... well.. he's definantly NOT the brightest fish. Dare I say he's a little bit stupid. LOL

Here is what's making me think this:

He stays in one spot in the tank a lot of the time, near the surface. The temp is always 78-80 degrees, so being cold isn't a problem.

He has trouble finding his pellets. AKA I sometimes have to turn off the filter in his tank while he eats, just so he can find them. If one starts to sink, it's a goner!

He is HUGE!!! Seems like he's a pretty old guy.

My main concern is this though:
when you look at his eye in a certain angle, it allllmost looks like he has cataracts...? It's really odd. I might be able to get a picture.

BUT, he flares through the divider. And that makes me think he's not blind at all! Just a little... umm.. messed up in the head.

Anyone have any guesses!?!

Thanks!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Hmm I have no idea, but I would think that if he was blind, his eye(s) would be a little cloudy or white. But, that's just a guess! I hope he's ok though.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #3 
Neelie

he may be slightly short sighted or something and thinks its scary to not see far so he doesnt use all his tank. same goes for food, he might only see it from a certain angle or distance...

did you try a small tank? maybe he feels more confident having a smaller territory thats easier for him to manage.

i dunno.... hard to say if its his eyes or if he's a little .... slow...
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:20 AM   #4 
doggyhog

He's in a 2.5g tank... and that's about as small as I like to go... but I could try putting him in a 1g. I have a cute little one.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:50 AM   #5 
nochoramet

Haha he sounds like Fishy...I love Fishy to death, but good gracious it is SO hard feeding him. He can never find the pellet. He just jumps at my hand the entire time, ignoring the pellet and trying to bite my fingers. So I'm not sure if Oliver is blind or just...rah-tarded. I'm starting to wonder about Fishy myself.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #6 
Vikki81207

lol yeah Fishy is very impatient. He's just like "oh look fingers!! Fingers mean FOOD!!" lol. Yeah he isn't one of the brightest fish, but he's beautiful and makes up for it lol.
Just so you know, his "birthday" is May 23. It's when I got him, the day after graduation :D
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote