Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #1 
Kaisa

boiled chicken

anyone know if it alright if i feed a little bit of plain boiled chicken to my bettas? twice a week i boil a bunch to suppliment my dogs vegitarien food and i want to give some to the bettas to see if they like it and possibly as a rare treat once a month or somethng... bad idea?? i'd only feed a tiny tiny peice or two but i dont want to kill them
Kaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 
xxabc

Well I can say that I've never heard of people feeding chicken to the bettas...... It's a scary thought though. Too scary for me! Haha.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #3 
goldyboy

I'm no expert but I don't think a betta would munch a chicken in the wild. lol Stick to pellets and bloodworms imho.
goldyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #4 
herbwin

It should not be everyday, but I don't think boiled chicken itself would be a dangerous treat for a betta. I might worry a bit about choking, as they like pretty small food, and chicken can be pretty firm. I would either shred it super-fine or put a big piece in and let them nibble what they may. Avoid fatty meat, and remove anything uneaten promptly.

I often drop well rinsed chicken bones or other bones into my community tank and let the fish work on the remaining meat for a few hours. Never had any complaints :)
Posted via Mobile Device
herbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #5 
Jupiter

Well, I know some bigger fish eat beef heart and things like that, so it could be okay...I'd imagine the piece you give should be reeeeally small, though.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #6 
kelly528

...even beef heart is falling out of style with discus keepers. The general consensus is that feeding your fish terrestrial animal meat (beef heart, live, pork, chicken, ostrich, whatever) is no better than feeding them cardboard. I mean I don't see any health problems it would cause (except for malnutrition if you fed it as a staple) but weighed against the risk of them choking on it theres no pont IMO.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #7 
truthequalslies

it seems most of the people @ the club metting i went to feed beef heart chicken and liver to their fry but only one of them cooked it but i wouldnt try it sounds like it'll foul the water too fast
truthequalslies is offline   Reply With Quote