Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2010, 02:50 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

Attaching Java Fern

Hello! I have several baby Java Ferns that broke off and are ready to be attached to rock/wood, but I don't have anything to attach them to yet. Do I have to buy driftwood from a pet store or is there anything else I can use? I've checked some out at PetCo but they were rather large. The tank at home is only 6 gallons. If this is the only option I'll go buy it today but I figured I should ask the experts here first. The baby Java Ferns are loose in the tank right now and I wasn't sure if that's OK.
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

You can attach the ferns to just about anything, rock, decoration, wood... etc.....plastic, fake, real....something that is heavy enough to keep it weighted down some.......if they have some roots you can put just the roots on the floor and cover lightly with gravel, but not too much and the roots will find their own way to attach......
I use just plain cotton thread that is about the same color of what ever I am attaching the fern to, color really doesn't matter I just try to help it blend better...lol....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #3 
bluebettafish

OK...is there anything you don't recommend? I was just gonna pick a rock somewhere but I thought it might mess up the water. I think most wood I'll find will float.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If you are collecting your own rocks make sure they are free of chemical/pesticides....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:15 PM   #5 
vaygirl

My petco sells a small bag of larger decorative river rocks and I've used those to anchor plants.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #6 
bluebettafish

That sounds like a good idea. I'm just not finding anything I can use in my apartment. Thank you both for the suggestions!