Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-23-2010, 08:33 PM   #1 
kuklachica

red sea nano & small world?

my fish-less cycle seems to have stalled for a week at .5 amm, ~1ish -ites, and 10ish -ates. Don't know why it isn't budging. I am wondering if my 2 small world filters can't hand the 6.6 gallons (more like 6 gallons with decorations and gravel). What are your thoughts?? Anyone use these in a cycled tank?

I am considering getting the red sea nano and putting that on one side and leave one of the small world filters on the other. Do you think this would work?? I am very frustrated with this cycling process.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:15 AM   #2 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
my fish-less cycle seems to have stalled for a week at .5 amm, ~1ish -ites, and 10ish -ates. Don't know why it isn't budging. I am wondering if my 2 small world filters can't hand the 6.6 gallons (more like 6 gallons with decorations and gravel). What are your thoughts?? Anyone use these in a cycled tank?

I am considering getting the red sea nano and putting that on one side and leave one of the small world filters on the other. Do you think this would work?? I am very frustrated with this cycling process.
The SMW has an ammonia removing chemical in it. It will slow the cycling process because it will remove the ammonia before the bacteria will. (So I have read) Thus its eating the ammonia out of the water.
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #3 
kelly528

I would get two red seas if possible, another option is a penn plax box filter.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:21 PM   #4 
kuklachica

unfortunately two red seas isn't possible due to the cover of the tank :=/

I'll ahve to look into the penn plax box filter... never heard of it...
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #5 
doubleatheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
unfortunately two red seas isn't possible due to the cover of the tank :=/

I'll ahve to look into the penn plax box filter... never heard of it...
I haven't seen the box filter in forever, it was discontinued I believe, and replaced by the SMF.

You could replace the carbon in the SMF with more filter/sponge.

I talk about that here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....836#post349836
doubleatheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:36 AM   #6 
hawkeyz799

I had the same problem at first with my SWF in my 5 gallon. I could not get the nitrates to pop up, and get the ammonia down, so I ended up dumping in ammonia so I could saturate the filter until it could no longer absorb ammonia. I tore the tank down and restarted the cycle, using the same filter cartridge. The second time round i got the tank cycled successfully, most likely because the SWF could not absorb any more ammonia.

To keep the tank cycled, refer to the link doubletheman posted, as I had the same questions as you more/less. I just popped off the back of the filter and replaced the carbon/zeolite with another sponge from another small world filter, and when i need to wash out the filter sponges, i alternately wash the sponges so there is always at least one which keeps the cycle.
hawkeyz799 is offline   Reply With Quote