Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #1 
brancasterr

New Betta questions

I just got a new Betta today after not having one for quite some time. I also got him a new tank in which I put spring water, water conditioner, gravel, a java fern, and a few other decorations. What I would like to ask is this, how long should I wait before putting my new family member in his new home? I know there is a cycle the water needs to run but I'm anxious and would like to get him acclimated as soon as possible. Here's some info on the setup:

-1.5 gallons(but I plan on getting him a bigger tank soon)
-Java fern in tank.
-Gravel in tank.
-Temp hovers around 74 degrees.
-It's only been set up for about 19 hours as of right now.

Thanks! :)
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 AM   #2 
brancasterr

Also, I'm curious about any good heaters to use in a tank this small. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #3 
reaperss06

I'll tell you a good heater so far is the one I got today, from petco keeps the water at 80 degrees ferenheight. I wouldn't listen to this forum about food or anything, I did and three fish died because of it. One of them I had for over a year and a half. they all died within 2-2 1/2 weeks when on pellets, so flakes is better.

anyway the heater is called HT10 submersible heater by Tetra, works with 2-10 gallons, 50w.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-30-2010 at 09:52 AM.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:25 AM   #4 
diavids

hello. Being the tank is only 1 1/2 gallons and that you don't have a filter you can put the betta in right away. A tank that small is pretty well impossible to get cycled. What you will have to do is do partial regular changes (1/3 twice a week). You will have to keep the gravel clean by disturbing it now during a water change. A small heater is a good idea since betta's do perfer higher temperatures. To food,i perfer to give mine pellets (the ones for betta's) than flakes as most bettas won't eat flakes and flake food will dirty the water quicker. my betta also get a weekly treat of frozen blood worms. Good luck with your fish.

reaperss06, are you sure it was the pellet diet that killed your fish. i find that really odd. What brand of pellet food did you give your fish and were they the pellet food that is made for betta fish. i give my male betta pellet food, he gets 3 every day. My female who lives in a community set up eats what i give the rest of the fish but i think her main diet is the guppy fry. (not that she is making a dent in the population.)
dianne
diavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 AM   #5 
reaperss06

Quote:
Originally Posted by diavids View Post
hello. Being the tank is only 1 1/2 gallons and that you don't have a filter you can put the betta in right away. A tank that small is pretty well impossible to get cycled. What you will have to do is do partial regular changes (1/3 twice a week). You will have to keep the gravel clean by disturbing it now during a water change. A small heater is a good idea since betta's do perfer higher temperatures. To food,i perfer to give mine pellets (the ones for betta's) than flakes as most bettas won't eat flakes and flake food will dirty the water quicker. my betta also get a weekly treat of frozen blood worms. Good luck with your fish.

reaperss06, are you sure it was the pellet diet that killed your fish. i find that really odd. What brand of pellet food did you give your fish and were they the pellet food that is made for betta fish. i give my male betta pellet food, he gets 3 every day. My female who lives in a community set up eats what i give the rest of the fish but i think her main diet is the guppy fry. (not that she is making a dent in the population.)
dianne

Yes I'm 100% sure, thats the only thing all three had in common with each other, my longest lived fish died shortly after he started eating them. Thats all my other two had was pellets. Yes it was for bettas, so the pellets kill my fish at least. Honestly because the fact that this forum said to use pellets makes me not want to get advice anymore, I may give to others who I can help.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 AM   #6 
brancasterr

Quote:
Originally Posted by diavids View Post
Thanks diavids, thats good information to know. I'm beginning to like this community quite a lot. :)

As for heaters, what are some that would be effective for such a small tank? I don't want to OVERHEAT him. How many watts, what kind, etc?

And, thanks for the suggestion reaperss06. I'll look at that one, I just want a more broad spectrum of selection.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #7 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaperss06 View Post
Yes I'm 100% sure, thats the only thing all three had in common with each other, my longest lived fish died shortly after he started eating them. Thats all my other two had was pellets. Yes it was for bettas, so the pellets kill my fish at least. Honestly because the fact that this forum said to use pellets makes me not want to get advice anymore, I may give to others who I can help.
I'm sorry to disagree but I take issue with your blanket statement about not taking advice from our forum members due to the advice you were given about feeding pellets. If feeding pellets were a bad thing can you please let my betta know it? I've had him going on two years and his diet staple are Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets. My betta is strong and healthy.
What brand pellets and how many a day were you feeding? To me it just sounds crazy to blame feeding pellets (advice given here) for the death of your fish. Most of us feed our bettas pellets. Even betta experts will state that specially formulated food for bettas (flakes & pellets) are what a betta's staple should be. Want me to go hunt down the links for you on the internet that can back my claim?? I'd be happy to. I'm really sorry you lost your fish.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #8 
reaperss06

I was feeding them betta pellet food, 2-3 twice a day. I had a fish going on flakes for a year and half, died 2 weeks after I started him on the pellets. The pellets were called, so you guys can blame the food.

"Aqua culture betta pellet food"
Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM   #9 
xxabc

Reaperss06, I would agree with Aunt Kymmie. Either you got a bad batch or there's something you're missing, there is no way that because your bettas supposedly died from pellets that anyone else asking about food should ignore our advice since we (or others) advised using pellets. I use pellets, Aunt Kymmie uses pellets, and a hefty majority uses pellets and none of ours have died...by evidence, your case isn't strong enough for the rest of us to be ignored on pellets and our thoughts on food. If you thought it was sthe food after the first or second betta, you could've just switched as well.

It's very unfortunate you lost three bettas though, RIP.

Brancasterr, cycling a 1.5 gallon would be pretty darn difficult, so I wouldn't worry about that. Just do some water changes every other day, or so. Especially with java fern, it should be more okay (not sure HOW much more okay, but live plants = yay :) )

If you plan on getting a bigger tank, I would *cough* suggest a heater *cough*. 77-80F should be good :) 19 hours should be pretty good temperature wise, but not sure about water-chemistry wise (like if the pH's are different).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:43 PM   #10 
brancasterr

I actually got a heater for the smaller tank. I was worried it wouldn't work to well so I put my betta in a holding tank while I tested it out. Much to my surprise the heater works perfectly. It keeps the water at a steady 79 degrees and shuts off to prevent overheating. My betta is extremely happy now. :) I think I'm going to head for a bigger tank soon though.

Also, with Java fern, how much do these plants grow? I shouldn't expect it to take over the tank should I?