Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Question Those of you in college...?

So scholarship applications, SAT/ACT stuff, and college mail is overflowing in my life right now! But I keep thinking about what would be the best setup for the betta I bring with me. So those of you in college, what is your betta setup? And how do you clean the tank (since there are only "floor" bathrooms freshmen year). I have 7 males so it's going to be really hard to choose who to take! Listed below are the tanks I could take. Tank size restrictions aren't listed on the college website so we might have to call them.. Thanks.

5 gallon hex
5 gallon glass rectangle
10 gallon rectangle
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

My dorm is apartment style.. we have 4 private bedrooms, 2 shared baths, and a full living room and kitchen. So water changes are really easy for me.

If I was in a conventional dorm setting I would just get a bucket and fill it and lug it back to the room.

If I were you I would go with one of the smaller tanks, cycled, with ONE (1) fish.. that way you can get away with only doing one water change a week... you could keep a bin full of water under your bed to do the water changes.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:02 PM   #3 
Mecal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
My dorm is apartment style.. we have 4 private bedrooms, 2 shared baths, and a full living room and kitchen. So water changes are really easy for me.

This is my set up too, but I'm also an upperclassman.

I was in the 'regular' dorms Freshman and Sophomore year. but I didn't have an aquarium, lol.

Mine right now is a 10 gallon.

Anyway, for water changes just get a large cup/vase, that's what I use, and just take multiple trips filling up.

Of course, also get a bucket and a gravel-vac to clean up too. :)
Mecal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #4 
kikuhoshi

I was in a single room with common bathrooms/showers last semester. What I did was have another bowl (I had a half-gallon bowl that I had bought originally, before switching him to his 1.5 gal). I put him in his pet store container while I dumped out the water & wiped down the tank, and then took it back to my room so I wouldn't have to carry a huge thing of water and risk running into someone. I'd then take the old fishbowl and run back and forth between the bathroom and my room, filling it up that way.

My school allowed up to a 5gal, depending on the room, tho some kids had 55+ (HOW??!) as well. It also came down to what would fit where, and what made him happiest - I had the chance to get a 5gal, which scared him to no end - he's best in his 1.5gal. I think most schools allow at least a 1gal, with permission from roomies/RAs/etc.

Oh, I'm a college sophomore-turned-freshman again, and I'll probably be living in an apartment style at my new school if I don't commute, but at my old one, I lived in a suite for freshman year, and a single sophomore. :)

Last edited by kikuhoshi; 03-27-2010 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a snippet. :)
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:36 PM   #5 
mysquishy

I do online college from my home. So I can have the tanks and fish that I want here. Sorry I was no help.

I wanted to tell you that the fish in your avatar is awesome. I love the dark eyes.
mysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #6 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks everyone, that really helps! :) And thanks "mysquishy"!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #7 
SaylorKennedy

I was just thinking about this. Since that I will only have one betta, I'm just going to take the 3 gallon eclipse and do weekly changes on it. It depends on what dorm my roommate and I decide to stay in (one with community bathrooms or we can have an apartment style suite with the 4 bedrooms, 2 private bathrooms.)
For community I'll probably just take 1 or 2 gallon jugs with me and empty/refill them. If we go with the suite, I'll just lug the tank to the sink and lug it back.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would take the apartment style if I were you.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #9 
radiationbaby

I agree with dramaqueen; having a suite with personal bathrooms would simplify things a LOT, especially since you could use the tub for dumping the dirty water if your suite-mates aren't comfortable with fish-poop water in the sink. If you have any say in which room you get to stay in, avoid one with more than one outside-facing wall; it gets a LOT colder in the fall/winter and at night.
radiationbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #10 
FuulieQ

I heard something odd about people not being allowed to bring rectangular tanks in some dorms, but I haven't had to deal with that. However, if you don't have a sink in your room, you are really going to LOVE that five gallon rectangle tank. A ten gallon is just WAY TOO MUCH to deal with in a tiny dorm with little surface space, in my experience.

I have two tanks, a five gallon rectangle and a 3.5 gallon bowed squarish kind of thing. Freedy is in the 3.5, it has a thermometer, a heater, and a light, and he seems quite pleased in there. He freaks out whenever I turn on the filter, so I usually leave it off.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote