Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 01:26 PM   #1 
Foxers

Question A breeding oppinion?

Hiya, i want to breed my betta fish, and ive tried for a while with no success so im thinking of trying with a few new males that i have.
There's Comet, he's a red crowntail with a green/blue body. and i have Cherry Bomb, a purely red Halfmoon i got from a local breeder.

So im not sure which to choose, i mean, i like both of them. But the thing is that i heard halfmoons are hard to breed. Is this true or a myth?

Please help!
Foxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Your fish have never bred right?

If so, I'd recommend you use your CT or VT. HMs are just a little more difficult because of their full finnage. They are a little more sensitive to water quality because of their big fins. But, if your up to the challenge, Go for it!!!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #3 
Foxers

Thanks for the feedback, and yea this is my 5th try with no luck, so i hope this time it all works out ^^. Ill go with Comet
Old 03-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #4 
doggyhog

don't worry!!! Keep trying, you'll get a spawn!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Can you tell us more about your spawning method and set up you are attempting, it could be technique and not the breeders
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 PM   #6 
Foxers

Oh, well its a 5 gallon tank, silk plants with a small filter, mainly silk plants, a few plastic, no gravel, and the water temperature is at 82-84*...i dont have a glass chimney so i just keep the female's tank close to the breeding tank, he see's her and flares and all. thats what ive bin doing. there is a photo of the tank in my photogallery
Old 03-30-2010, 04:23 PM   #7 
doggyhog

Lower the water level to 5-6 inches. That way the dad won't get too tired swimming up and down to collect eggs.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #8 
Foxers

Ill try that, and last try, with my now retired female, he destroyed the nest while trying to 'court' her, maybe because i let her in too early?
Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #9 
bloo97

You can do it!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:52 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I use two different methods with great success, one in bare bottom standard 10g and the other is 10g heavy planted, on both methods I use full tanks of water because I condition my breeder so I don't worry about the male getting tired and when well conditioned I found that I get healthier stronger eggs so the male doesn't have to chase the eggs as they fall because they don't fall in the first place after spawning...lol.....
I also like the full tank so it is easier to keep the air above the water humid and warm and this helps keep the nest intact better and infusoria development for first fry foods.
I don't use filters or air stones in my spawning tanks, I want nice still water and once I start adding the live foods for the fry I make daily water changes anyway so I don't worry about the oxygen level for the fry since their labyrinth organ has not developed yet.
I don't use the hurricane glass either, I put the breeding pair together at the same time and as long as I have plenty of plants I don't worry and I don't get injured breeders either with these methods. I usually have spawning within 2 hours and as long as 6 hours, once the female leaves the spawning area I remove her. The male usually gets removed by 72-80 hours from spawn, first added live foods usually fed by day 7-8 as long as the fry have nice round bellies telling me that I have plenty of infusoria, seed shrimp and other mirco-critters in my mature spawning tanks.
I keep my water temp at 80-81F, I don't want my eggs to hatch too soon as I found that they will be weaker if hatched too fast from too warm of water.
Spawning this species is lots of fun and I think everyone that enjoys this species should spawn at least once, it is a great learning experience....I do recommend that a person should do lots of research first so that they are successful and to be ready to feed and house lots of youngsters......and not to plan on making any money...you are lucky to break even....lol....unless you go big scale of course.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding beta halfmoon