Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #11 
Foxers

Wow, thanks for the help big time, but i do have a question, you use live plants correct? Because before, i tried using live plants and my bettas would just nom them right up before i had the chance to do anything lol
Foxers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

Great info OFL.

Bettas don't eat live plants.. they are insectivores.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Sorry. I don't understand your question...what is "nom them right up"

For plants to be effective for cover...you need lots of them, the tank crammed so full that it is hard for the male to get through them except in the spot that you want the nest built, this area need to be clear of plants unless he uses them for his nest, mine like to use water lettuce to build his nest under or the sword plant leaf that I either break off to float or that is growing and laying over the top.
And yes, all my plants are live that I use in either method floating and/or rooted in soil substrate.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM   #14 
Foxers

sorry about that ^^ i meant my fish used to eat them (i used to breed guppies and swordtails) . But i guess it wouldnt hurt to try live plants for a change, ill try that, thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Betta don't eat plants as Jackie posted, they may pick on them eating the micro critters but should not even do any damage.....
So give them a try again.....lol......
Old 03-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #16 
Foxers

What plants would be best for this? im thinking about getting the Water lettuce as you said earlier, but what else?
Old 03-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #17 
Oldfishlady

I use all kinds, naja grass, swords, crypts, lugwigia, rotala, hygrophila, cabomba, anachris, myriophyllum, water wisteria, sags, vals, java moss and ferns and the list can go on...I like stem type plants so I can use them rooted in the soil or floating, the naja grass or guppy grass, water wisteria, anachris, myriophllum are all really good to use if you plant on using a bare bottom tank.
I like water lettuce and duck weed for floaters and nest building, I like keeping lots of java moss, it seems that lots of the micro critters love this stuff and the fry are all over it grazing...lol.....but any type of plant that you can get will work......
Old 03-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #18 
Foxers

Okay, good to know =D im sure this will help a lot, and im getting a new 10 gallon tank for the breeding, and the plants, so i hope all goes well this time
Old 03-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

Don't give up...spawning bettas is a fun thing to do and learn from...lol....I have my 4th spawn going right now, I am only planning 20 this year and finding the right breeders is important as well as conditioning them before you breed, it make a difference in fry growth and development.
I have an awesome blue CT butterfly that I want to spawn and he keeps eating the eggs but his half brother the DT cambodian is one of the best fathers I have had in a while, just like his father and both of these guys came from a spawning experiment of multi spawns and kept with their father and mother for the first 12 weeks of their life...the difference in personalities can floor you...lol.....
Old 03-31-2010, 01:32 PM   #20 
Foxers

I had that problem with my first time breeding, the male ate all the eggs sadly =(
But this breeding, im planning to breed my red and green crowntail (his body and rays in his tail are green) because he makes a strong nest that's quit thick. And a young pale red female, im guessing ill get combtails, since its a vt x ct. ^-^ im still excited though

Tags
breeding beta halfmoon