Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 06:24 PM   #11 
Jupiter

Actually, it just hit me yesterday when my mom called...
I was telling her about how I had nothing in common with my class mates ('cause I don't drink or party...) and she suggested that I talk about movies or something.

I said..."Mom, I don't go to the movies. It's a waste of money!" She told me to stop spending all my money on my fish and go get a hobby! Well...it's my money, though.My mom was happy that I got into this hobby at first (my aunt...not so much), but now she's telling me to spend my money on other things.

I guess she's right, but who knew bettas would be so expensive?
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #12 
nochoramet

Yep, I finally had to give myself a mental shake when I realized how much money I've spent on my fish. I said NO MORE. No more ANYTHING. Tanks, decor, fish...nothing unless it's food, conditioner, or if something breaks. I can't find a job, and my parents won't pay for ANYTHING. I pay for gas and insurance on my car as well, and anything extra I want..soooooo.... I forced myself to stop. I've probably spent over $500 dollars in fish, which is insane for me and my money situation. I find that avoiding temptation works best for me. No Aquabid, no Walmart fish section, no pet stores (and if I do have to go there, I bring only enough money to get what I need so I'm not tempted to spend more) That's what works for me.
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:54 AM   #13 
Neelie

thanks for all ye're comments! dunno what id do without ye! probably move out and leave the fish as "furniture" behind me :(

€2,000 = $2,690

my bf is very much into cars and spends most of his time and money in his garage with his 7 cars.... when i met him we worked on them together and it was all fun and games. i lost interest over the months (want to get rid of my sports car too) and we dont spend much time together... the bettas keep me company and keep me busy... BUT the finances are a huge problem... i think the bettas and what i spend on them reflect the condition of my relationship.. :(

If at least i was a better fish mom and they wouldnt have all sorts of illnesses all the time id be in a better mood....

my mum doesnt understand that its my hobby either, because i've had so many hobbies that all passed... like phases... but from these phases i never get the money back i put in! and thats the whole issue. I lost about $20,000 on my car, and its worth only about $3,000 on the market!

at least in america/canada everything is alot cheaper than here! but a small bottle of conditioner costs something like $14! its madness over here! ireland is a joke! my rent, car tax, electricity is ALL astronomical.

atm a liter of gas goes for €1.33, thats 1 US gallon for $6.778
car tax for 3 months (my car is 1400cc) $127
my rent per month (2 bed apartment) is $942
and electricity for the apartment, for 2 months is $504

thats to give ye an idea of the costs in ireland :(
all prices are converted to dollars, so yeah, no maths mistakes

im such an idiot :( someone should shoot me FAST!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:00 AM   #14 
bloo97

Quote:
€2,000 = $2,690
Wow... Thats alot of €€€€!!!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:15 AM   #15 
BettaxFishxCrazy

My mom just had "the talk" with me the other night because I got another fish and a plant and another jug. My boyfriend used to tell me that I should stop wasting my money on fish and put that money in the bank. I have told myself this is it. I can't afford to spend anymore money; I have a car payment that's ridiculously expensive and other bills that I have to pay. It's one thing if my job payed me good, but the pay sucks.lol I haven't spent nearly a thousand, but probably close to it.

My advice to you Neelie that I've been using lately, is if you need some medicine or water conditioner etc, go in, get that, and get out.lol Once I start looking at the fish, I'm usually doomed. You could also send your bf to get it for you.lol I'm sure we would all love to have hundreds of bettas, but unfortunately we can't. :( It's like with anything, you just have to tell yourself no and stick to it. Than eventually you'll get into that rouitine and you'll be fine. :)
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:18 PM   #16 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

I sympathize with all of you! I was told by the B/F that I was out of control, enough's enough and to just be happy with what I have. (four tanks) I agreed and left it alone, as far as he's concerned. Luckily he's just not that observant when it comes to my tanks. I have a new red turquoise discus swimming amongst my other discus and he just assumes it's always been in the tank, LOL. First thing out of my friend's mouth when she stopped by the other day was, "Oh, new fish, how pretty". LMAO!!
I picked up some congos yesterday and they are in the QT tank, and he hasn't noticed that either. I'm soooo bad.
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:31 PM   #17 
bloo97

Quote:
I had nothing in common with my class mates ('cause I don't drink or party...) and she suggested that I talk about movies or something.
Ugh, I know how U feel!!!!LOL!
Alot of the guys think that "sports" and "gossip" is popular, but apperently, Im one of the 2 guys who likes nature. They think fish are a waste of money and boring to watch. I THINK NOT!!
bloo97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #18 
ThePearlFish

I was thinking the EXACT same thing as your 1st post in this thread too just today. I am so broke cus of this fish tank right now.

Quote:
I don't drink, smoke go to movies or do anything for entertainment.
I was thinking this today too and I was like WHY am I so broke when a lot of people who are in my position can buy packs of cigarrettes or go and be entertained by something but I can't?

All I buy nowadays is gas for my car and scan trons for school tests. it is pathetic.

It is one reason why I decided that I am NOT going to replace any of my animals for a while after they pass away. It will be hard not having a bunch of them around all the time, but it was a decision I had to make, the only 3 I am getting in the near future is 3 bettas for my new tank I just set up and that is it for a while.

~TPF
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Shame on you, Kym for buying fish behind the b/f's back! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #20 
aunt kymmie
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
Shame on you, Kym for buying fish behind the b/f's back! lol
That's what's great about having you for a friend, I know you'll never tell on me!!
aunt kymmie is offline   Reply With Quote