Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #1 
honeyfish

Exclamation Fin Rot? =[

So, I had noticed Andrew's fins disappearing for a few days, and thought he was biting his tail. So I did a few 100% water changes and added some salt, and his tail seemed to be growing back just fine. Then, yesterday, I did a 50% water change, and thought he would be ok. After I finished changing his water, I turned his light on so I could see him and the tank and make sure it didn't look gross, and he was flaring at everything and anything. While he was flaring, I started freaking out because I noticed that his fins were not just fine. He has holes missing, and they're all frayed! They didn't look that bad before I did the water change, and as I was watching, it looked like there were chunks of his tail falling off of him! I'm so sad, and I want to fix it, but I don't really know my next step. =[ Today, his tail looks even worse. Here are the details that I know:
5 gal. minibow tank (not cycled, I don't know how to do that) with a filter and a heater kept at 80-82f, 4 silk plants, gravel, that's all the decorations.
I don't know the water specifics, but I will go get some water tested at the pet store and let you know after I do that.
I've had him for almost 2 months, and he's my only fish.
I just changed my filter yesterday when I changed the water.
My tank gets natural sunlight, but only partially, during the day from the window across the room.
I change my water once a week usually, but I've been changing it twice a week since his fins started falling off (before I noticed the holes missing).
I only just vaccuumed the gravel last night because I just got the gravel vac last night. Before that, I was doing it by hand, taking Andrew out and emptying the tank, cleaning off all the plants and gravel. Long process.
I feed hiim once a day, in the morning, 3 pellets. Once, my boyfriend fed him like 10-15 because I wasn't there to tell him no and he didn't know any better; that was before the fins started being funny.
I attached some pictures, I hope they are clear enough, and sorry if they are big I don't know how to change the size.
Attached Images

honeyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:06 PM   #2 
Neelie

tail biting :) looks like it to me anyways
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:30 PM   #3 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, it looks like tail biting to me or a really nasty fin rot. I would keep adding salt to his tank and keep the lights out. If he's by a window or a light you have on, you can put a towel over his tank. Tail biting can be a nervous habit. It sounds like you have a great setup.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #4 
honeyfish

That's what I thought, but then he was flaring and there were little holes in the fins. So I panicked a little (ok, a lot).
Old 03-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #5 
Neelie

well, here's the story IMO;
if he's a biter there isnt much you can do. biting is either stress or boredum! is he stressed? is he eating ok? is his breathing ok? or is bored? (like, lets say your away alot of they day)

the only thing you can do is keep the water extra clean and add some salt without being certain what it is.

what i would do if it was my fish;
add only some methalyn blue. this would treat bacterial fin rot.
if that didnt help and its continuing i would wait a few days without meds,
repeat the proceedure but treat fungal fin rot this time...

if that didnt help i would just add a lil salt and try see if he does bite (walk into the room on surprise and most bettas wont bite when your around)
Old 03-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #6 
honeyfish

So, I should keep him in the dark for now? For how long? I figured it was tail biting because it first happened when I left for 2 days. I came back and half his tail was missing. So I didn't go anywhere for a couple of weeks, and it started to grow back. Then I went out of town again (for 2 days, again), and it disappeared again! So I assumed he was bored and wanted more attention. I just got really panicky when I saw the holes and the chunks falling off. I went out and bought a teeny tank to put him in while I super deep clean his tank and maybe medicate him with Maracyn II if that would help, but I don't want to use the medicine or put him in a teeny tank if that won't do any good. =/ I feel like such a bad fish mom.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #7 
honeyfish

So I went and bought some tests for the water, but forgot the nitrates/nitrites one in my rush. But so far, it's got 0 ammonia, and it's really basic (pH 7.6). Should I lower the pH? If I do that, should I take him out of the tank first, and then lower it? The package for the pH Down says that he could have adverse effects to lowering more than .2 in 24 hours. I don't want to kill him in my ignorance (assuming I haven't already)!
Old 03-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #8 
Neelie

id say its biting.... he may be bored or depressed when your not around. i wouldn't go for meds then. try to find someone to "entertain" him should you have to go away and see if he stops.

your PH is fine! i wouldnt touch it either. mine is 7.4
Old 03-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #9 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Yeah, medication won't do anything. Keep putting the salt in after each 100% water change and you can either get more plants, more decor for him or put something up against the tank. Some people draw with washable markers on the tank to entertain them.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #10 
honeyfish

Phew, thanks guys. At least someone else can help me, I appreciate your inputs! My boyfriend, for some reason, says he looks "fine" and can't understand why I'm freaking out. I don't understand how he doesn't see the torn edges of Andrew's fins!!
So, tail biting it is, then? Well, that's much better than fin rot, I'd say. Washable markers? I never would have thought of that! That's a great idea. I wanted to buy more decor for the tank, but my boyfriend said I was being silly because "he's just a fish." Ugh! I will have to teach him the proper way of thinking about these fishies. Thanks everyone, you have put my mind at ease! =]