Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 AM   #1 
brancasterr

Need to heat 1 gallon tank...

I just got a new Betta yesterdat after not having one for quite some time. I also got him a new tank in which I put spring water, water conditioner, gravel, a java fern, and a few other decorations for him to toy around with. The water fluctuates between 72 and 74 but I want him to be warmer(or is he just fine?). Does anyone have any good suggestions on small heaters that would heat such a small tank effectively without overheating it? I don't want to cook the little guy, just make him extra cozy. :)
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:04 AM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

IMO there isn't a safe way to heat a 1G tank. I would recommend getting a 2G or bigger (he'd have a lot more room to swim in also). Bettas need consistent temperatures of 76-80 degrees F. So I would recommend getting a heater after getting a bigger tank.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM   #3 
xxabc

72-74 isn't exactly fine, so you should definitely heat it, but like BettaxFishxCrazy, there's really no super-safe way to heat it. You could TRY a hydor heater, but I fear those heaters as it sets it up to be around 3-4 degrees above room temperature. I have personal doubts with it, but if you want to try, go ahead.

I also suggest simply getting a bigger tank, even a second-hand one (here, 5 gallons run by $10 easy).
And if you want him extra cozy, all the more reason for a bigger tank :)
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #4 
brancasterr

Where exactly could I find a second hand tank? I live in a college town and many people here are sticklers. =/
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #5 
xxabc

Hm i would start off with Craigslist. I see good deals often, but those are on bigger tanks. On smaller 5 - 15 tanks, you have to hunt and go fast for them, haha. You could do e-bay, but...I prefer not to. (Usuallys seconhand usually comes with stuff which is why I recommend it. Otherwise you can just buy a completely bare 10 gal for $12 at walmart).

But...if you don't trust them, then I probably wouldn't either
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote