Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-30-2010, 10:09 PM   #1 
bettafan9

Minimum Work for Keeping a Betta?

Hey all, I'm thinking about getting a Betta fish for the office. What's the minimum amount of work I can get away? I was thinking about getting a single Betta fish, in a 2.5 gallon, filtered (no clue what type). How often would I need to clean the tank? Are there better filters out there where I would have to clean less often? How often would I have to change the water? If it's too much work I won't bother, just curious.
bettafan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. A 2.5 gallon should be cleaned at least once a week. You don't necessarily HAVE to have a filter.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #3 
xxabc

You should try to get a heater, I believe in most work-places they turn off air-conditioning and/or heating ? (Not sure). Lower temperatures expose them to being more susceptible to diseases and such.

Dramaqueen, wouldn't it be a bit on the safer side to have it cleaned closer to twice a week? IMO 2.5 gallon isn't entirely large, but if that's how you see it, then alrighty then.

I'm pretty sure there are different types of filters for 2.5 gallons. It would also depend on what shape it is as well. Filters don't remove water changes, they only help, especially with cycling (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) a tank. But I don't really think there's a filter out there that will actually remove changes (although I know I'd get it if it existed).
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:18 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, twice a week would be better.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:57 PM   #5 
nochoramet

Yeah, she said *at least* once a week, but twice is better. I clean mine twice a week, but sometimes I don't have time and only get it once (shame on me, I know)
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:51 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't have time to do cleaning twice a week on 11 containers.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #7 
kelly528

Not sure how bad ammonia gets but IME a 2.5g tank with a betta in it gets physically dirty with solid waste quite fast, like in about 3 days.

For an office I would recommend a 5g unless you have already bought the 2.5g. Make sure you research 'fishless cycle' before buying the fish, as taking the time to establish a colony of beneficial bacteria in the tank to break down waste compounds will save you a LOT of cleaning. Normally I would say a cycled tank only requires a 25% water change weekly but if you had enough plants in the tank to absorb the nitrate (the final product of biological filtration) you could easily get away with cleanings every 2 weeks.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #8 
bettafan9

Changing the water every two weeks would be awesome. I was planning on buying a 2.5 galloon tank, I'll go to the store and see just how big a 5 gallon tank is. Hopefully it'll fit at my desk. If all goes well I'll buy my tank next week sometime.
bettafan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

Just remember that you HAVE TO CYCLE before adding your fish if you want to get away with water changes every two weeks. You can't just add a filter and think that the tank is cycled.

Also... IMO a 5 gallon should get a weekly water change UNLESS you have all live plants in there and a lot of them (as Kelly said). If you only put fake plants in there you will have to do a weekly water change.

When it comes down to it the more water changes you do the better your off. I have a 10 gallon that is cycled and fully planted but I still do weekly water changes even though I could get away with only doing a small one every two weeks. The more frequent your water changes are the better off your fish will be IMO.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote