Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-31-2010, 10:26 AM   #1 
brancasterr

Cloudy water won't go away?

The water in my betta tank is starting to get cloudy. It definitely isn't as clear as it was before. I did a partial water change yesterday (about 25%) and saw no change. The tank has only been set up for about 2 and a half days. Is this cloudyness normal or should I do more than a 25% water change? I know some bacteria has to grow in there but I don't want it to be unsafe for my betta.

Thanks!
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #2 
brancasterr

Oh! and also, how cloudy is too cloudy for a betta tank? I mean it isn't unbearably cloudy. I can still see clearly through it.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #3 
xxabc

Make sure it's not your gravel...as in make sure you really cleaned it well.
Also make sure it's not your conditioner as well.

You have a filter right? Can't remember... it could also be "bacterial bloom." If it's bacterial bloom, you might want to google it, I really don't want to give you bad tips. I ended up not doing water changes for a few days and it ended up subsiding on its own. I kept doing water changes but it stayed with me for a week, or a bit less than that. Hopefully someone else will help you better with bacterial bloom.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:47 PM   #4 
xxabc

It depends on "what's the cloudiness"? I think bacteria bloom - the "bacteria" (whatever causes it) feeds off of oxygen. THe worst case, the bloom will steal some oxygen. But with bettas, it'll be fine, since they go up to the surface anyway. You'll know it's getting worse if your betta has trouble breathing and keeps going up.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:06 PM   #5 
brancasterr

I don't have a filter yet...waiting on my next check to get that. Haha. Anyways, I noticed it was getting slightly cloudier and my betta was either staying low in the water or right at the surface. I thought he was getting sick, so I decided to change out about 90 percent of the water. The cloudiness subsided and he's swimming around a lot more. But he doesn't seem as active as he was when I first put him in the new tank. Right now he's just kinda hanging out near the bottom, but he doesn't stay there for tooooo long, and he hangs out at the top a lot more. But he still does usual swimming sessions around the tank. Perhaps he has just gotten used to his surroundings. I've also noticed that he hangs out under the heater a lot. Which is almost on the bottom of the tank, so there isn't much room for him. Maybe he treats it as a hide out. I'm still worried about diseases and I think everything he does or doesn't do is an indication. Haha, but I'm probably just being too cautious. Was everyone like this with their first betta?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #6 
brancasterr

Also, is it alright if he kinda lays on the bottom sometimes? Like he's resting? He doesn't lay sideways or anything, just lowers until hes gently nestled on the gravel. I know it's almost 11:30 and I've had some form of light in my room all day so maybe he's wanting to sleep?

ALSO, (haha) I've noticed sometimes he only uses one of his fins to swim. Is this normal? It isn't one particular fin he doesn't use all the time. Just sometimes he'll use one and not the other.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 03-31-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:08 AM   #7 
reaperss06

I will say I have noticed bettas that I've had will kind of just lay there late at night. They are active during the day and such. My guy likes the heater as well, unsure why, maybe a safe haven as well, but he did have swim problems earlier, and would use a "perch" to sit so he didn't tilt or whatever. I have read that if they lay around too much at either end then there might be a problem, and to start looking for signs.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:37 AM   #8 
dipsydoodlenoodle

I had the same problem after about the same amount of time; I was doing water changes but there was no difference it was getting worse; I decided since the betta had only been in there a few days I may as well change all the water (the water he came in was horrible so I think a lot of it was due to the net dipping in his bag and into my tank and also he'd have been dirty); anyway it went cloudy again but not so bad and I've been doing about 30% water changes daily to help it; I couldn't see much improvement but it didn't seem to be getting worse; now about 3 weeks later; it's crystal clear.
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #9 
brancasterr

If I do decide he is spending to much time at the bottom, what disease is that usually an indication of?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #10 
bonfiliof

I am having issues with that as well. 10 gal tank, 1 betta, 6 corys. Water has been cloudy over a week now. I've done 25% water changes, all my numbers for nitrate, -trite, ammonia all normal.

I've cleaned the filters, plants, done some gravel vaccumming. I'm really purplexed.

All the fish are doing fine too.
bonfiliof is offline   Reply With Quote