Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #1 
oneslicktrick

Talking New to the breeding thing

I'm planning on trying to breed my halfmoon male this summer, and plan on going to get him a lady this weekend or next. I'm not sure exactly what kind of female I want, or what would match well with him. I'd actually really like to get a copy of him, he's rather unique :P I plan on breeding him just once, and selling the fry to family/friends or on Craigslist, and I'll probably end up keeping a fair few of them lol.

But here's my Pretty Boy Floyd:

Not sure the "technical" term for his coloring, but pretty sure it's Blue Butterfly Marble :P He's got Koi spots on him and I haven't really seen another betta with them and I seriously love them!

I was thinking either a crowntail female or another halfmoon. I'd really love Floyd's color on a crowntail though ^.^ Any suggestions on what I should look for? Just heading over to the Petco where I got him from, they usually have some really spectacular fish there!
oneslicktrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:30 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

look for the lightest female betta possible the fry will have most of the daddys color. on them because the boy is light right i cant really see the pictures because they dont rly work for my computer... so look for the lightest anyway even though if he is dark. the brightest one will have the most koi spots on the fry :) good luck
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Wow he's very pretty!!!!!

I'd call him a Cambodian Butterfly. I personally don't see any koi spots, but maybe I just can't see them in the pics.

If I were you, I'd get a Red Butterfly female, or a cambodian female. Either one would make beautiful fry. Make SURE you get a HM female. If you breed VT to HM, you'll get mostly VT.

Or you could get a CT, but you won't get full HM finnage. You'll mostly get Deltas with spikes on the end. BUT, if you find a double ray female, then your more likely to get Halfsuns. (HM finagge with small spikes on the end.)

If you have any questions please ask!

Also, I recommend reading BOTH of these websites

Bettatalk.com
bettysplendens.com

Good luck!

Last edited by doggyhog; 03-30-2010 at 12:47 PM.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:00 PM   #4 
oneslicktrick

Thanks guys! Yeah, his spots are a little hard to see in the photos, I'll try and see if I have a better one or get a better one this weekend. I'll definantly look at those sites, thanks! Just got my fingers crossed that I don't get distracted by some other beautiful male at Petco before picking a girl lol.
oneslicktrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #5 
Madilyn

Just to let you know, petstore bettas usually don't have 'clear' genes, therefore your fry will end up with misc. colors. I have spawned petstore bettas many times before and ended up with wacky colored fry. For instance, I spawned a red crowntail and a blue VT from Petco once, and the fry ended up being purple, red, blue, and cambodian. You definately have a beautiful male, but since he is from Petco I doubt very much of his color will get passed onto the fry. Sorry to break the news.
Otherwise, good luck with the spawn!! And keep us updated. :)
Madilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #6 
doggyhog

Yes. I agree with the above.

From what I've heard, bettas usually look a lot like their grandparents.

You'll still get beautiful fish, but keep that in mind!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

Hummana!! But yeah most bettas look like their grandparents (so if have gorgeous grandparents to the fry then you might get gorgeous fry :P). My older spawn is coloring red when their parents were pure red (male) and blue with red fins (female). Im respawning the mom to a pure red DT so I can mix genetics to get a DT VT and hopefully nicer quality VTs.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote