Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #1 
BurnishedOchre

Wink Quarantine tank check-up

Just thought I'd give an update about Desmoda's health. A friend who has owned bettas for much of her life has helped me considerably by giving me some of her Melafix when I wasn't able to get to the store to get any. Now, with daily water changes, he is looking really good. Unfortunately, on the second water change when I got him back he tore his caudal fin into three strips from the base, and suspecting a silk plant with plastic 'roots' I removed it (cut it up into little pieces actually, but that was more of my obsessive-compulsive tendencies kicking in when I became interested in the material, he he ) and have given him salted water and changes every day. He is in a... 1 gallon? 1.5 gallon? I can't be sure, with some plastic betta grass I made sure was safe.

Now, four days after the incident, his fins have healed up about two-thirds of the way. I am amazed at how fast the healing process is! I am just happy that he might actually be growing some new tissue after his tail has healed. He's lost some length on his caudal and dorsal, and it would be nice to see him back when I first got him from the store (but not with the fin rot!).

Here is a video of Desmoda, since despite my best attempts could not get any good still shots of him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIMiIzOOaWE

I always learn so much and have so much fun here. :) Thanks everyone for your participatory knowledge and help when I have had questions or problems.
BurnishedOchre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #2 
kelly528

Looks good! My goldfish too had his fins torn into strips at one point (sucked into the filter intake I think) and they healed really fast as well.... it must be like paper cuts on humans. Where the open skin sort of 'sticks' together and seals up really fast.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #3 
BurnishedOchre

It really does make me wonder - you would think that it would hurt to have that much tissue damaged, but with it being so thin I suppose it outweighs the length and breadth of the rip. And I did notice the ripped sections sticking together as you said happens with papercuts - it's definitely obvious that there is sufficient bloodflow to elicit fast healing times, which I would think would be incredibly useful to keep infection to a minimum. Even today I noticed the bottom rip is almost completely healed to about a millimeter from the end, and the top rip is quickly catching up. Just awesome!

Thanks for the response! :)
Old 04-02-2010, 03:36 PM   #4 
Neelie

omg such a cute vid!! the music is GREAT!
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:45 PM   #5 
BurnishedOchre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelie View Post
omg such a cute vid!! the music is GREAT!
Thanks! I thought the plucky music was a decent alternative from the ambient noise. ^^ I'm glad you liked it. :D

Tags
fins, fish, health, quarantine, tank