Betta Fish Forum banner

Worried about Betta

3K views 36 replies 8 participants last post by  f4te 
#1 ·
Hey all. I think my Betta might be sick. He used to spend most of his time at the top of the tank, at midlevel, or swimming around. For the past few days he stays at the bottom in his skull. He doesnt leave it for hours on end. Even when I go to feed him he wont come up. I used to tap the cover of the tank and hed know its feeding time and hed come up. Now he just stays in the skull or he put the food in his mouth and spits it out. Im worried because I used to have my tank split and this was the same stuff my other Betta did before she died in December.
I have a 10 gallon heated/filtered tank. That has been cycled with seachem stability and conditioned with prime. Any ideas of what could be wrong?

#29 ·
Redness can be several things and the most common cause is ammonia, but with all the water changes you have been doing your ammonia should not be a factor. If he had ammonia burns from the past it can also be scar tissue that is inflamed/irritated.
Other things can be chlorine/chloramines, heavy metals that most of the water conditioners/dechlorinators should take care of.
Infections and wounds/injuries are other things it could be
Are you sure that it is not part of his coloration?
Can you post a pic
Have you QT him and still doing the daily water changes?
if you feel he is suffering you may want to humanly euthanize him.
Sorry I wish I could be of more help.........

#35 ·
awwww that's so sad! mine's starting to do the same thing- i only got him like a month ago though! i'm not sure what's going on- i recently put a heater into his tank, and did a 50% water change (2 days ago) and immediatly after he was super happy, but now he's just hanging around the bottom, and cramming himself up inside his lil castle... every 5 or so minutes he'll swim (easily and quickly) to the surface, grab some air, and come back down... i'm really concerned! no external deformities or anything as far as i can tell... I tried feeding him, but he didn't respond this evening. He ate this morning though. i'm going to see how he goes for he next couple days before i do something.... i don't want him to die!

#36 ·
ok- it's the morning now. He's crammed himself up inside his castle and isn't moving. I rapped pretty hard on the side of the aquarium... he fluttered a lil bit, but isn't moving! NO FISHY, DON'T DIE!!! We have really clean water over here (vancouver), so it shouldn't be that- i put betta basics in it every time i did a water change... whyyyy!!!!!

#37 ·
HE DIDN'T DIE!!!! i dunno what it was, but he's totally zipping around. he's not doing his normal 'show off' thing where he lets his tails expand, but he's a lot better than he was before. I think it may have been because i didn't let the water sit overnight before changing it. Will do from now on. I just cleared all the transluscent stuff from the top of the water, so it's perfectly clear, and set out a bowl of water to top it off with tomorrow. He's definitely looking a lot healthier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.