Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-07-2010, 02:13 AM   #21 
thegameksk

He didnt respond to them.

The only other tank I have is very small. Only a few liters with no filter/heater. What do you mean by hold food? Not give him any? Where can I get epsom salt? Is there any meds I should buy from fish store?
thegameksk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:55 AM   #22 
reaperss06

hmm internal seems to be the cause, maybe out dated food?? Mine did the exact same type of things your is doing because of the food being spoiled. I honestly would try parasite food if you can get him to eat it. If not give it to him like you would a cat, shove it down his throat.

It looks like he is heavy weighted which is what mine became. The only difference is my fish died in 24 hours from the time they stopped eating. It could be a reaction to the spike in levels but I don't remember reading that the fish would do what your mentioning. I don't know fully but internal parasite seems to be my guess since hes displaying the same symptoms mine did.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 AM   #23 
thegameksk

I dont see how I could force the tiny fish food down his throat. Im surprised he is still alive to be honest with you. Its been 2 weeks and hes still going though hes getting worse. Now when he lays down he is completely laying down on one side of his body. I think it is internal as well. Are there any other things I can give him (put in water perhaps) if he wont eat the food.

Since I am now desperate I am going to buy the following:
Parasite food
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals PimaFix http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...od_cs#prodTab1
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Mela Fix http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lickid=prod_cs

Im not sure about the Mela fix yet. It seems to be for external conditions (ie finrot) and since my fish looks fine on the outside I dont think it will do much good. Does anyone have experience with Primafix? What did you think of it?

Last edited by thegameksk; 04-07-2010 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady

You can get espom salt at any store that has a pharmacy section
A small QT is what you want and don't worry about temp and filtration at this point as you will be doing 100% daily water changes.....
Yes, hold food mean not to feed
Don't cram anything down your fish throat,
How old is your betta and are you sure that what you are seeing is not end of life issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:14 PM   #25 
thegameksk

Hes only a yr old. I got him last April. Do you kniow anything about the meds I posted?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #26 
Oldfishlady

You had him for a year and if you got him from a box store he was most likely about 4-6 months old making him about 1.4-1.6 years old, life span of this species is 2-3 years and rare cases of 5 years.
I don't use OTC medication so I can't comment on their use...sorry....
Old 04-07-2010, 02:24 PM   #27 
thegameksk

I feel like he is suffering. I dont know what to do.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #28 
thegameksk

Upon closer inspection of his gills. It looks like one side is red?? Im not sure what this means. Anyone know?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:32 PM   #29 
Oldfishlady

Redness can be several things and the most common cause is ammonia, but with all the water changes you have been doing your ammonia should not be a factor. If he had ammonia burns from the past it can also be scar tissue that is inflamed/irritated.
Other things can be chlorine/chloramines, heavy metals that most of the water conditioners/dechlorinators should take care of.
Infections and wounds/injuries are other things it could be
Are you sure that it is not part of his coloration?
Can you post a pic
Have you QT him and still doing the daily water changes?
if you feel he is suffering you may want to humanly euthanize him.
Sorry I wish I could be of more help.........
Old 04-07-2010, 03:57 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't use Pima Fix and Melafix. Those meds are contraversial. I know that one of my bettas had a bad reaction to them. I would use Maracyn or Tetracycline.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote