Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 05:43 PM   #1 
Blu

Question considering breeding?

I recently bought a new male who's colors I really love and am considering breeding him. He is a petstore betta so I know his colors arent guarenteed but what would be the best type of female to increase my chances of getting atleast a couple orange?, or would it be unwise to breed him at all?..I really am just in it for the experience but I do love the orange... Ill attach a pic of him sorry about the glare..
Attached Images

Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #2 
doggyhog

Wow, stunning boy you have there!!!!!

I would suggest a solid orange girl or an Orange cambodian. http://www.bettysplendens.com/articl...?articleid=965

Breeding is defiantly not something you want to take on lightly. Do lots and lots of research and SURE your prepared to take on the responsibility!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #3 
Blu

thank you^^
...sadly Ive been doing research on and off for a couple years hoping I could breed at some point..but I think I may actually have the time and resources to do so in the next month or so, just gotta spruce up my knowledge, find some more info, and find a good female

do you think getting a breeders female would increase the chances of an orange fry even though hes a lps betta?

thanks for the links^^
Blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 
doggyhog

Yes. that would be a good idea! Then you'd have "Clearer" genes.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm glad to hear that you're doing your research. Good luck finding a suitable female.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Just make sure you have the resources to deal with the fry. Not many people will take a betta bred from lps fish and VTs are even more undesirable (as much as we all love them).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Without knowing the background of either breeder there is no way to know what you will get...with that said....find a female as close to the color as your male and try it...have everything ready for the fry care...breeding is easy...fry care can be a challenge...especially if you are successful and need lots live food for free swimmers and lots of containers for the male juvies along with the daily water changes for best fin growth and development.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

[quote=1fish2fish; VTs are even more undesirable (as much as we all love them).[/quote]

Don't tell that to Zenandra. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #9 
1fish2fish

LOL.. believe me I love my VT. I think Fish is the most beautiful betta there ever was (yes I'm biased LOL) BUT the thought of breeding VT and potentially having 80 fry with no homes is a little daunting. Also its probably given that you won't break even breeding VT. Its a sad fact but a fact nonetheless. :(

Once I'm an established breeder and have the space for lots of fish I plan to breed VT for my project line if Giant VT.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

Breeding isn't a sure thing either. You may know how to take care of them but you may lose them. I recently lost almost my entire spawn due to velvet (I have at least 10 fry but idk how many will survive).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote