Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #1 
brancasterr

I think something might be wrong...

Today, after my betta has been hanging out near the bottom for a day or so, I noticed some grayish white patches on his right gill. I don't know what it could be. He swims around still but not as much. I put some thing called "Betta Revive" in his tank because it claims to treat and prevent a number of prospective issues. After I put it in he became a bit more active but thats when I noticed the grayish white patches. Any idea on what it could be and how to treat it? I've heard aquarium salt or epsom salt(idk about epsom salt) will make him feel better. Any ideas? I tried to take a picture but it wouldn't come out clear no matter how hard I tried.
brancasterr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 PM   #2 
xxabc

Is the patch completely flat against the skin, it's not fluffy and 3-D? My betta has this as well on his gills. Just coloring stuff (for me, at least).

How big is your tank ? I wouldn't in any type of medicine unless you know 100% what you're treating for. Is it heated, and stuff ? And when was the last time you did a water change? Always try cleaning out his water and seeing if his heater is actually working.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #3 
brancasterr

The patch looks flat, I guess. I can't really get a good look at it. I see a piece of skin that looks like it might be coming off. Do they shed ever?

The tank is 1.5 gallons (I'm getting a bigger one next week.) It is heated and the heater is working. (Thermometer says so) I did about a 90 percent water change last night because I thought he was avoiding the cloudiness in there. The stuff I put in there, Betta Revive, is apparently used by a lot of people as a sort of water conditioner. (?) I'm not sure exactly what it treats for but the package says it helps prevent and treat many things like Protozoan Diseases, Bacterial Diseases, Fungal Diseases and can help regenerate damaged fins and tails.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #4 
xxabc

Sometimes when I'm REALLY paranoid, I see what looks like a scale (or two or three) sticking out. Not sure on "shedding", might want to ask someone else on that. It's never gotten to the dropsy stage, so it might just be the paranoia.

Okay, since you're getting a bigger one, I think it's best to be patient and see how he takes the bigger space (how big?). However, if you really see him sicker (color fading, he's really not swimming, he lays at the bottom and swims very, very slowly, lethargy, not eating - any of these symptoms consistent doesn't have to be all ) then take bigger action.

I'm skeptical about the Betta Revive, but I've never used it before and I'm not sure what to think about it. Again, I don't like the thought of any additives in my tank. Go ahead and keep using it and if he doesn't seem better (and you're doing water changes and whatnot), then try changing conditioner, just as experimentation.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:17 PM   #5 
brancasterr

I plan on getting him a 5 gallon or so. But yeah, I feel I'm just being super paranoid. As you can tell, haha, I have been plaguing this forum with my persistent questions on what I think might be wrong with him after all.

I'll wait a few more days and see how he's doing. He probably is still getting acclimated to his tank. He's only been in it for 3 or 4 days after all.

I'll try a change in conditioner as well. I do see some tiny bubbles all around the rim of the bowl. Is this his bubble nest? Maybe he's perfectly fine. Haha.

Also, I keep seeing mixed ideas on how often to feed these little guys. Should I feed him a little everyday or just every other day?

Also also, I want to thank you again. You've been all over my questions like white on rice, providing me with good feedback. I appreciate it.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #6 
reaperss06

I had a fish have grey shiny scales along his head as well, pretty much right before he died. His was a food problem though. I don't think yours is, but you can check and see if his food is expired...mainly pellets though.
reaperss06 is offline   Reply With Quote