Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM   #91 
kingb

wow, way to hang in there. he's a fighter Maul. good to hear he's not yet become one with the force!
kingb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:01 PM   #92 
DarthMaul
Banned

lol SAME HERE... saaammmeee here haha well i have gotten alot of good info on this loooong thread haha
DarthMaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #93 
kingb

thats awesome!!!! keep it up dude!
kingb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #94 
DarthMaul
Banned

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #95 
iamntbatman

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxabc View Post
Also, to iamntbatman, I believe pineconing is a symptom that heavily indicates dropsy, and is a very common symptom, however is not present in 100% cases of dropsy. Sometimes it's just heavy bloating, or who knows what else. We'll never know for sure, though.
Dropsy itself is actually just a symptom. Dropsy is a fluid buildup that results from kidney failure or malfunction, usually brought out by infection that spreads to the kidney. Because fish have a higher concentration of solids in their blood than in their surrounding water, they take on extra water from their watery environs via osmosis. Their kidneys process their blood and allow them to excrete extra water. When the kidneys fail, they can't do this so the water builds up in their bodies. So yes, the kidney failure happens before the fluids build up to observable amounts (resulting in the pineconing effect). By the time you observe the pineconing, the damage has already been done to the fish so even if the infection that resulted in kidney failure is treated and cured, the fish may suffer from dropsy for the rest of its life.

Off topic I realize, but I thought I'd address it. However, bloating from other sources (food issues, parasites, etc.) almost never results in the full-body swelling and pineconing you see with dropsy so that's why I brought it up in the first place.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:31 AM   #96 
xxabc

That's good info, I actually never realized it like that. Thank you. Would it be a bit more logical to say a betta may not always make it to the pine-coning stage? I guess my other source (I've been told on other previous forums) was not as reliable as I had imagined. I'll keep this in mind.
xxabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 06:43 AM   #97 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I've heard that pine-coning is usually the last step if it's really bad. If they pine-cone there's usually nothing you can do for them because they're too far gone. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but that's what I've heard. I had a fish that got dropsy very fast and pine-coned a couple days later when I realized that he was very bloated. A couple weeks later he passed away. :( I've only dealt with dropsy once so I'm not very educated on it.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #98 
DarthMaul
Banned

Update Time: I fed Peter, 2 count em 2 presoaked pellets for dinner tonight ( nothing for breakfast ) and he is not bloating. Looks like i am making some great headway towards him not bloating after feeding time anymore =] Tomorrow, i will try to presoaked in the morning and then 2 more at night and see what happens. Lets all hope it goes well so he can have a normal daily feasting, instead of next to nothing like he has been =[
Old 04-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #99 
vaygirl

Which brand of pellets are you feeding him? The Wardley betta pellets are crazy HUGE. I can't feed them to mine except for Kilo, my half giant. There are micro pellets you can try to find that are made for smaller fish. I'd still soak them but you might be able to give him more at a time. Hikari Betta Bio Gold pellets are also smaller. I don't know which you're using but I just thought I might throw that out there.

Remember, his stomach is as big as his eye. It may seem like very little to us, but their bellies are teeny tiny. Sorry he's having troubles. Sometimes our fish have special needs.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:18 PM   #100 
DarthMaul
Banned

i KNOW how big they are haha. I don't over feed. This is the FIRST betta i have had feeding problems with. IME/IMO ONE pellet twice a day is hardly over feeding lol my other gets 2 twice a day and has NO problems =] I stopped using the wardleys with Peter, he now gets the Gold!!